Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I am currently on a late 2016 13" MBP w/ Touch Bar.

Thinking of trading this in (or selling) and upgrading to a new model, but I am torn as to what model is best for my use. I don't want to buy something too powerful for what I need, but at the same time, I want it to have good specs so it'll continue to perform over the next 5 or so years.

Main use is for Illustrator, Indesign, and photoshop. Very little 3D modeling, bad habit of many tabs in google chrome and/or safari open.

I was thinking of going to the 16" model this time around for the bigger screen and better graphics card, but took a look at them at best buy the other day and not sure if the overall size is just too big for me.

What specs and/or model would you guys recommend I go with for my needs?

Thanks in advance!! :)

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Are you certain you need a new machine? Is your current machine no longer capable of handling your workload in a manner with which you are comfortable? At any rate, I would certainly wait until later in the year to see what the new machines bring to the table.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Are you certain you need a new machine? Is your current machine no longer capable of handling your workload in a manner with which you are comfortable? At any rate, I would certainly wait until later in the year to see what the new machines bring to the table.
It’s definitely not needed to be replaced just yet, but I’m considering it mostly because the trade in value is so good still and it’s 4 years old for that value.

also might be getting one at work, so kinda using this research as dual research since I do the same things athome as I do with my computer at work!
[automerge]1584287299[/automerge]
Wait for the new upcoming 14" MBP with the new keyboard....
Ohh good point. The 14” might be the screen increase I need without having to go to the 16!

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It’s definitely not needed to be replaced just yet, but I’m considering it mostly because the trade in value is so good still and it’s 4 years old for that value.

also might be getting one at work, so kinda using this research as dual research since I do the same things athome as I do with my computer at work!
[automerge]1584287299[/automerge]

Ohh good point. The 14” might be the screen increase I need without having to go to the 16!
Yeah, a 16" screen would be too big for me too, but a 14" screen would be perfect. I can't wait to see if the new machines will have the scissor keyboard so I can see how it differs from my current machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.