Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Thank you, I will make sure to do that. You mean using leonsociety's instructions above? Will give it a shot and make sure to replace exampleFile with the actual file.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Thank you, I will make sure to do that. You mean using leonsociety's instructions above? Will give it a shot and make sure to replace exampleFile with the actual file.
I was thinking using what I typed in the screenshot in my message, but it's effectively the same command either way. I don't believe I saw -f in leonsociety's instructions, which is used to force the deletion of a file. It's not necessary, but always helpful.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Don't forget a space after the "-rf", then drag and drop the file that you want to delete. If you ignore that space, the command will fail every time.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I was so excited to try this, and used a space as you kindly reminded me, but still get 'invalid argument'

It says:

rm: /Users/Christopher/Desktop/BoyGeorge-TheCryingGame.mp3␀␀␀␀: Invalid argument
christopher's-macbook:~ Christopher$
[automerge]1590263547[/automerge]
What if I slave this computer via target with my new Mac Pro, which runs High Sierra? Would it then allow me to delete the files remotely, using my password?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you copy and paste your complete command, exactly as you entered it?
I believe your command still not correct.

Did you try deleting the "null" symbols at the end of the file name before trying to delete that file?
Can you move the files that you want to delete into a new folder, then try to remove the folder?

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Absolutely. It is:
sudo rm -rf /Users/Christopher/Desktop/SarahVaughn-OldDevilMoon.mp3␀␀␀

I tried changing the file names of these old mp3s. They are what's hanging me up. It won't let me. I wonder if upgrading from El Capitan to the next OS might help with this.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I know what I would do....
Boot up to a system on an external drive, browse through the internal drive to those files, drag to trash. Empty the trash. Done.

Can you make a new folder, and drag those three files into that folder?

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Great idea. I tried that yesterday in Target mode with the new(ish) Mac Pro I just got, but better yet, I will use an external USB drive I have, start up from that; it's an older clone of this drive, and try to delete. Will report back in a few. Thank you!

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Ouch. I'm here, startup from my external drive, and no dice. I get the same -50 error message when I go into Mac HD/ Desktop and try to delete the mp3 files, and the same error when I tried to use the sudo command, with appropriate space after, in Terminal. It also won't let me change the file name, or move them to a folder I created.

This clone, because it is a clone (sorry that's redundant), has the same problem, but the problem files are in the trash. I downloaded High Sierra. What I think I might try: install High Sierra on this clone drive, and see if I can delete the problem files. If that works, I might try installing that OS on my startup drive. I've been using El Capitan because my audio apps work well with it.

Thank you guys.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Okay, I've got it! I am super happy to report to you guys, that after many months and two pages of this thread, upgrading an external drive, which I cloned to Sierra allowed me to delete the old files right away. Then, I was able to go into my HD from that external drive and do the same. I'm going to update everything to High Sierra tomorrow.

Thank you so much to all who helped. You guys were excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.