Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
All,

We have a Starlink setup with a Starlink extender. Long story short, it does not offer device management.

I need to find a device I can connect to my internet to block or throttle devices. This is for a remote lakehouse that I own and work at. Need to be able to throttle the 40+ people (grandkids and others) when I have work to do.

I would get a new router, but the Starlink is waterpoof and outside. So I would need to find waterproof alternative.

Thanks!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Not that I have any experience with Starlink in particular but what I did with a 5G Cellular Hotspot:
Get an additional router (indoors) and set it up to get its internet access via WiFi (from your Starlink).
All clients then connect to the router (which obviously needs to be able to set client specific priorities).
But this solution bounds the WiFi access for clients to the area around the new router, away from your Starlink.

You could also skip individual priorities and simply limit the bandwidth (internet speed) the router has access to (say 80 Mbps if your Starlink offers stable 100 Mbps). All other users besides you have to use the new router (80 Mbps total) while you can still connect to the Starlink directly as before (guaranteed 20 Mbps only for you).

Last edited:

Cunfyoozed

Suspended
Jul 3, 2023
You should hook up your Starlink to a UniFi system, then you can control literally every device connected to your Starlink network, including the bandwidth. It has immensely granular settings for each and every device.

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
you can consider investing in a waterproof router specifically designed for outdoor use. This will allow you to efficiently manage and control the internet access of the 40+ people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.