Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TelevatorsEsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
A friend of mine recently gave me his old copy of Diablo II, and despite having downloaded the mac os x installer for it, I'm still unable to install it. Whenever I insert me install disk into the drive, the installer program insists that I haven't inserted the right one. The game only came with a play disk and an installer disk, and while both the case and the play disk say they're compatible with macintosh, the installer disk does not. Is this the source of my problem? Thanks.

arudius

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
New York, NY
I'd say that it's definitely something to do with the hybrid CD copy. You have to make sure that if you copy the CD, it copies the Mac partition of it as well. Most in Windows will by default just copy the Windows portion.

Maybe try picking up a copy of it? I know that right now Diablo 2 only runs like $15 at best buy

MarsUltor

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
If it is a copied disc, there is usually no way you can use it unless you burn it with a particular program, jumping through all sorts of hoops on the way... so most likely it was burned improperly, even if your friend burnt the partition for mac too, it was most likely burned improperly... i had this issue a few years ago

Young Ted

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2007
Are these real retail CDs or copied ones?

If his old Diablo II is very old, then it's possible that it doesn't have hybrid CDs. My copy, purchased upon release all those years ago, was Windows-only - although my copy of Lord of Destruction was hybrid. I had to buy a new copy of Diablo II, but it was very inexpensive.

Furthermore, you should have a third disc, labelled 'Cinematics'. Do all your CDs have 'Windows 98/Macintosh' printed on them somewhere?

TelevatorsEsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for all of the feedback.

The CD's aren't copied, they're the original retail ones.
The case and the cinematics and play disc all have the label 'Windows 98/Macintosh'; however, the install disc only reads 'Windows'. I'm guessing this is the source of my problem.

Oh well. The Diablo Battlechest is on sale at Best Buy this week. I suppose I'll just spend the $30.

paulba

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
hey can i do anything about having to reinstall diablo cuz its says that it has incountered a serious error and just to let people know i have a macbook 10.4.10 and i downloaded a patch for it but it doesnt seem to be working so does anyone have any ideas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.