Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
:( I accidentally dropped hot milk on my iPhone 2 months ago. After that I dried it and it started working fine and since then there is no problem with it. Except for this one. There are spots on the iPhone screen which are visible all the time. Take a look at the pics.

How do I get rid of them? Do I need to open it up and clean the screen from behind? I can get a mobile phone engineer to do that. Or do I need to get the screen replaced? How much will that cost? I might not even find the replacement screen here as iPhone has not even officially launched here. These spots are not visible when the screen is turned off. But I cant sell it until the this spots are removed.

BTW the headphone indicator is still white and does not show any liquid damage. I had once dropped some water on this iPhone before the milk incident. Similar spots formed then too but they completely vanished once all the water inside evaporated. I really want to buy the new iPhone once it comes out but wont be able to do so if I dont sell this one first for atleast something. PLEASE somebody help me sell this iPhone. Please........

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
A few more shots of the spots. They arent as much noticable when playing videos and pictures though.

Somebody please tell me if these spots will vanish if I get iPhone opened and get it cleaned from the inside.

Also I checked the eBay for iPhone screen replacements they cost only 65$(incl shipping) for the whole screen. Like this one. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are these the same LCD Panels used by Apple or are inferior? But I`d really love if the existing screen can be repaired as it`ll be cheaper and more importantly faster. Will give me enough time to try and sell the iPhone before the 3G version launches on 9th June.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
It's not inside the screen, so you can't clean it out.

Seems the milk burnt the glass, so there's no way that's coming out. (of course, some brasso might work...)

I had the same thing happen to my GameBoy Advance SP. Trust me, it doesn't come out.

Of course, if you can see the liquid moving, there is still hope... You might want to take it apart, just in case. Maybe you can get it out.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Take the phone to Apple store, they may replace it. I would not walk in and say I spilled water on it though. When I had my iPhone replaced for warranty service they were practically giving other users new iPhones for non warranty issues. I think they are trying to clear out the inventory of current iPhone models.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Ouch, I guess MILK doesn't do an iPhone good. :( Take it back to Apple and get a replacement. Good Luck with your sale either way.

Take the phone to Apple store, they may replace it. I would not walk in and say I spilled water on it though.

As I have already mentioned, iPhone hasnt officially launched in my country. So it will not be possible to try that. I`ll still pay a visit to the apple service center here hoping they might be able to put in an iPod Touch`s screen. I`ll pay for it if its possible and reasonably priced.

It's not inside the screen, so you can't clean it out.

Seems the milk burnt the glass, so there's no way that's coming out. (of course, some brasso might work...)

I had the same thing happen to my GameBoy Advance SP. Trust me, it doesn't come out.

Of course, if you can see the liquid moving, there is still hope... You might want to take it apart, just in case. Maybe you can get it out.

There is no liquid movements. it stays the same no matter what. I think your guess is right. the hot milk has burned the glass from the inside. BTW I cant notice anything et al when the screen is turned off. It`s visible only when it`s turned on.

Anyways did some one had an experience with the replacement screen. Are they good enough. For 65$ I think thats cheap enough. All I want to know if these screens works or not.

Walter P Henson

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
Not necessarily true that you cannot take it to the apple store. From my understanding you can go to any apple store in the world to get your apple products worked on. For some reason the guy selling me my MBP kept saying this like it was a great aspect, which i suppose it is. They aren't going to take your phone from you to discipline you or anything, worst case scenario they will just be like, "sorry we can't help you"

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Its relatively easy to replace the screen with said screen available on ebay. The problem is that when prying the back case off the iPhone it may result in bends in the aluminum when the iPhone is put back together...

Apple will charge you $250+TAX if you just wanna give up.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Not necessarily true that you cannot take it to the apple store. From my understanding you can go to any apple store in the world to get your apple products worked on. For some reason the guy selling me my MBP kept saying this like it was a great aspect, which i suppose it is. They aren't going to take your phone from you to discipline you or anything, worst case scenario they will just be like, "sorry we can't help you"

Well First of all since iPhone is not even launched here so it`ll stupid to assume the apple service center will have any spare parts available for it. MBP is a completely different case as it is available worldwide and apple has international warranty on all its laptops/desktops. iPhone on the other hand is completely different. It is not under warranty as it is unlocked and was never activated with iTunes. I`ll still go to the apple service center on monday hoping I can get the screen replaced cheaply. But that seems highly unlikely though.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
I tried the local market and found out it'll cost me bout 250$ for the screen. There was another "Chinese" lower quality screen which was cheaper at 200$. I now have doubts bout that ebay screen. How come its just 65$ ? Somebody please tell me if they had an experience with the above mentioned ebay screen?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Sorry to bump. But please someone tell me if they had an experience with this 65$ iPhone screen.

Also I dont see any mention of the touch screen in this eBay listing. Is the touch sensitive part extra or is it built into the screen or glass:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.