Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this question has been asked.

I have an apple imac slot loading DVG3. I recently tried to network another imac (same type) and a G3 through the ethernet port. The other computers saw each other but the imac in question did not.

Here's what I've done to try and fix this:

-Made sure that the setting were correct.
-Booted the hard drive with basic extensions on.
-Installed an airport card. The computer acknowledged that the airport card was working but would not find the wireless router.
-Tried usb-to-ethernet adapter
-Restared the computer and held down T to try and get it into target mode. Didnt' work.
-Took imac to the local Apple store. They ran a hard drive test and found no problems and gave me an estimate of $500 to install a new ethernet card (pricey because a whole new motherboard is required).
-I can't try using the apple IP over firewire because its only for Mac OS X

To clarify, the other two machines (one identical to my problem machine and an older G3) worked flawlessley with minimal effort. Dial up throught the phone modem has always worked.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to get my computer to network?

Thanks for your time,

Alan

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Details, details, details I need specific details.

You mentioned wireless as well as wired ethernet, use of USB-wired Ethernet converters (which will NOT work), routers, OS 9 and OS X, . . . .

Exactly how is each computer connected to what network device?? Brand name of the network device also count. How do we know the settings are correct? What were they? Are you using Appletalk or IP, fixed IP or DHCP server? What is the mask and gateway? What is the WAN link type (Cable modem, dialup, DSL???)

Albone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Hello, and thanks for helping.

The computers are networked to a Netgear Model MR814
802.11b Cable/DSL Wireless Router by ethernet cables. No computer is more than 6 feet away from the hub.

I followed the procedures handed down on macaddict
http://www.macaddict.com/magazine/1997_11/network.html
for how to connect my computers and to have the computers see each other. I am using a DHCP server through Earthlink cable broadband.

I don't know about the mask or gateway. I set up the problem machine the same as the other two. They work, but the problem machine doesn't even though it was set up exactly the same and is the newest computer of the three.

Which is really the point that bakes my noodle. Its the newest machine but it is the one that won't work.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Sounds like a software problem to me.

What OS?

You say you put in an airport card but it wouldn't see the hub? How could you tell it wouldn't see the hub?

If you're in Mac OS 9, have you checked the AppleTalk and TCP/IP control panels? In Mac OS X, have you checked the Network system preferences?

Albone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
All of my comps are OS 9. I knew it wasn't seeing the hub because in the airport window, it said that there wasn't (paraphrasing) anything to connect to. The dialog always stated that it wanted to do a computer to computer network rather than be on the network I created through the router.

I made sure all my connections were good. Its also fair to point out that the guys at the Apple Store couldn't get my comp to get to the internet or communicate with another computer through the ethernet port when they had it.

Again, their solution was to replace the motherboard but I'd rather get a new comp than pay $500 to fix it. Ergo, that's why I'm trying to see if there is another way around my ethernet problem.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
OK, you are still comfusing me a little. You say you are connected by ethernet cables, yet keep mentioning Airport. Which is it? Ethernet cables means a hard wired connection. Airport means wireless.

Another thing to check regardless of the above:
Go into the TCP/IP control panel and tell me what you see in a working computer and the problem one. I am looking for the following info:
network interface
TCP/IP address
mask
router address
domain

some of this may be blank, just tell me what it says, take a screen shot of the window if you want and post it here.

I think the Apple guys may be right, but lets check first and see what can be done about it

Albone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Sorry to confuse you. I didn't use the airport card and use an ethernet cable at the same time. First came the physical ethernet cable and then, after consulting the apple guys, they told me to get an airport card. The card worked but I still couldn't network.

Okay on good computer:
Connect via ethernet
IP address is 192.168 etc
Mask is 255
router address is 192.168 etc

On the bad connection computer all is the same except that the
Ip address is 162.205 etc
and no router address.

Sorry for not posting the whole address, I heard its a bad practice to do.

Thanks for your time!

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
OK, the IP addresses on your LAN are internal so they are not hackable. Only the WAN IP address on the router is connected to the Internet and hackable.

You did change the default password on your router didn't you??

If you didn't, it is trivial to detect the IP address of your router and hack into your router; once there, your computers are fresh meat for the taking.

Anyway, On the 'dead' iMac, in the TCP/IP CP, switch Connect via to: Airport and choose DHCP server.

Make sure you have followe dthe instruction on the router to enable wireless networking and DHCP over wireless.

If that fails, you might be hosed. You could try getting one of the USB-Wireless adapters out there. I ahve used the Proxim one for OS 9 successfully on an iMac that also had a good ethernet port (can't vouch for it working on dead ehthernet port)

I hope I have helped you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.