Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlejandroPeralta2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Argentina
Hello everyone, I come again to ask for advice about some problems I am having with a monitor.

Apple Cinema Display 20" (Aluminum)

I bought this monitor second-hand, and it has some curious flaws.

When connecting the monitor and sending an image signal, the monitor does not look good, you can see the image but with a high green tone, as if it were a kind of cloth in front of the image.

I have checked the cables and there are no false contacts. I am using a Mac Pro, I am not using any adapter.

I discovered that as time passes and the equipment (the monitor) heats up, that green tone disappears little by little, eventually reaching the optimal color tone.

I want to find out why it is

Another error that is surely related is that a slight residual image is noticed when one leaves a web page etc. for a long time, commonly called "ghost image" or "Image burn-in".

Finally, another strange problem is that: when I connect the USB cable to work on the back of the monitor, the monitor turns off, for no reason.

If you unplug the USB it gives the image again.

I attach images for greater compression.

Is it possible that it is a capacitor that is failing and takes a while to charge?

Is it possible that it has to do with the external power supply?

I appreciate any information you provide, I hope it can be fixed. Greetings and thanks.

Verde 1.jpeg
Verde 2.jpeg
Imagen quemada.jpeg

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
It could be the power supply, or the inverter / CCFL backlight bulbs that provide the backlighting perhaps? But I mean with so many other faults too, is it really worth repairing unless you want a (potentially high voltage) project? I looked up the cost for an inverter board (used) and it's around $30. For $120 you could get a modern 24" display (admittedly not as nice looking).

These things were originally released in 2003-2004 and were discontinued in 2008 so it is potentially 20 years old now. Any parts you could get for it would also potentially be up to 20 years old (and well used) too.

AlejandroPeralta2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Argentina
Thanks for the contribution, I hope it can be fixed, I like electronics, I can take it as a project, I'm sorry to throw it in the trash when I can try to fix it.

Also, maybe we will discover what problem is causing it and in the future someone will find the solution useful.

I have checked the power supply. it's perfect.
That board you mention "inverter / CCFL" could be the cause, is it exclusively responsible for controlling the Color?

Other themes. I have been thinking:

What if what happens is that one of the basic colors does not load? For example, Blue.
Maybe the Green and Yellow charge and take a while to charge the Blue....?
I don't know which sector of the plate is responsible for controlling the colors.

I found a video on YouTube, someone explains a very common failure in this equipment, a small component that allows certain volts to pass through. I attach the link:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.