Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dramaticescalation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
I use an iCloud Mail alias for newsletters, online accounts/logins, stores, etc.

Anything sent to this alias skips my inbox and is moved to a folder instead, using a rule I made on iCloud Mail. This means my inbox only contains personal emails and more importantly, *these are the only push notifications I get.*

It works great.

I never have to give my personal email to an online shop, and yet I also don’t need multiple logins / apps / whatevers either.

It’s all in one place.

And it’s simple.

However, there is one specific Substack newsletter I *do* want to receive notifications for.

I can’t make a rule for it — there is no option to move a message from a specific sender *to* the inbox because the alias *already receives it there in the first place* and *then* the rule skips the inbox and moves it to the folder.

(In other words, it can’t be moved to the inbox because technically, it’s already there.)

And I don’t see a way to make an exemption or exception within the existing rule either.

Am I missing something?

Or…

…is this just not possible?

Last edited:

iDaniel88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Norway
I use an iCloud Mail alias for newsletters, online accounts/logins, stores, etc.

Anything sent to this alias skips my inbox and is moved to a folder instead, using a rule I made on iCloud Mail. This means my inbox only contains personal emails and more importantly, *these are the only push notifications I get.*

It works great.

I never have to give my personal email to an online shop, and yet I also don’t need multiple logins / apps / whatevers either.

It’s all in one place.

And it’s simple.

However, there is one specific Substack newsletter I *do* want to receive notifications for.

I can’t make a rule for it — there is no option to move a message from a specific sender *to* the inbox because the alias *already receives it there in the first place* and *then* the rule skips the inbox and moves it to the folder.

(In other words, it can’t be moved to the inbox because technically, it’s already there.)

And I don’t see a way to make an exemption or exception within the existing rule either.

Am I missing something?

Or…

…is this just not possible?
This is exactly what I do - and it's absolutely brilliant! As for your question, the only thing I can think of is to create another alias specifically for that newsletter?

dramaticescalation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
This is exactly what I do - and it's absolutely brilliant! As for your question, the only thing I can think of is to create another alias specifically for that newsletter?
It’s great, isn’t it!?

When I used Gmail, I liked how the ‘Primary’ Inbox could be kept separate from everything else, and wanted to re-create that same experience.

For the newsletter — I wish it were that simple. It’s a Substack newsletter, and you can only specify one email address for your entire Substack account.

But I subscribe to several Substacks, all of which I want to keep filtering as I do. It’s just this *one* I want to change.

So… it can’t be done on the Substack side. It has to somehow be done on the iCloud side.

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
I guess what you want is a "stop processing rules" action, so you could put the rule for your Substack e-mail sender (sender is whoever@substack) with an action of "stop evaluating more rules" above the rule for how other senders to the alias are dealt with. So a Substack e-mail sent to your alias would just get left in the inbox as no more rules would be evaluated, and other e-mails sent to your alias would be processed.

But although this is an option in Apple Mail rules (processed client side) I am not sure if it's on the server side options too.

dramaticescalation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
I guess what you want is a "stop processing rules" action, so you could put the rule for your Substack e-mail sender (sender is whoever@substack) with an action of "stop evaluating more rules" above the rule for how other senders to the alias are dealt with. So a Substack e-mail sent to your alias would just get left in the inbox as no more rules would be evaluated, and other e-mails sent to your alias would be processed.

But although this is an option in Apple Mail rules (processed client side) I am not sure if it's on the server side options too.
Yeah, precisely.

I think you’re right, doesn’t seem like there’s a server-side option.

Which is a shame — my only ’computer’ is an iPad Pro.

Ah well, separate Substack accounts it is, then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.