Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I have a rev c 12 inch powerbook that trying to connect to my office server on port 548 (according to little snitch) on startup. For some reason this causes the finder to hang and I'm stuck with a spinning beach ball. The system is not set to automatically log in to this server

If I deny the connection everthing works fine. I reset the pram and repaired permissions. Still happens.

Safe boot is fine. Any ideas.

thanks

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That's the Apple file protocol - it looks like it's just seeing if there are AFP shares available on the network. If you have your firewall running but don't have port 548 open, try enabling it (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall tab -> Check the box beside "Personal File Sharing") and see if it doesn't lock up anymore.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
LAP connection?

Westside guy said:
That's the Apple file protocol - it looks like it's just seeing if there are AFP shares available on the network. If you have your firewall running but don't have port 548 open, try enabling it (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall tab -> Check the box beside "Personal File Sharing") and see if it doesn't lock up anymore.

Westside guy

Thank you for the suggestion.

Before I turn on personal file sharing I want to know what has changed. I've had this powerbook and used it at work since last April. Something has changed. Checking the little snitch system preferences pane shows
"Deny LAP connections to 130.91.137.xxx which is my office server.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sure you don't have that server added to your startup items in the Sys Prefs?
Open System Preferences >> Accounts, and select the "Startup Items".
Maybe an alias is put there. If so, then select it, and press "-"

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
What is lap port 548

MacsRgr8 said:
Sure you don't have that server added to your startup items in the Sys Prefs?
Open System Preferences >> Accounts, and select the "Startup Items".
Maybe an alias is put there. If so, then select it, and press "-"

No I checked.

This is what little snitch says

Finder wants to connect to files.erhs.upenn.edu on lap port 548

Thats the file server in my office.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Finder problem solved

Passante said:
I have a rev c 12 inch powerbook that trying to connect to my office server on port 548 (according to little snitch) on startup. For some reason this causes the finder to hang and I'm stuck with a spinning beach ball. The system is not set to automatically log in to this server

If I deny the connection everthing works fine. I reset the pram and repaired permissions. Still happens.

Safe boot is fine. Any ideas.

thanks

Removing alias's on my sidebar fixed the problem. I've since added other aliases to my office server without haveing the problem recur. Thanks to a helpful person in the Apple forums (who had the same problem with 7 Macs).

aklar

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
I have the same problem!

After I log on to my system everything is fine. But when I close a Finder window, open a new one or delete a file Little Snitch reports "Finder wants to connect to 10.0.2.4 on lap port 548" and then the Finder shows me the beach ball for several minutes. After that everything works great until I restart or re-logon.

BTW, this doesn't happen when I add a new folder for example, but the actions stated above *always* make my Finder hang after my first log on.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.