Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
My 15 yr. old son wants to record rap. He is very passionate about it and even spent $200 on a Microphone (which he now realizes isn't much better than the speaker on our G5 IMAC), keyboard and the expensive jam pack.

He has it all set up and is frustrated. It doesn't have very many instruments.
He says the jampack comes with lots of pointless instruments like martian noises, etc.

How can he find the instruments like the ones he hears in his favorite songs like Snap your fingers, etc.

I am clueless on how to help him. There must be a way for him to make his own songs. He doesn't know how to play the piano. Is that the only way to put together songs?

If anyone has even an idea of how to help please let me know, he's very frustrated.
Brenda

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Aren't there different JamPacks? What kind did he buy? I'll try and look around to see the different types. So I guess he is using GarageBand to do it all in?

Edit: I'm guessing that this is the one he purchased but did he get the "Remix Tools" one? If not I would exchange it. Here is a link. http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
He could look into Reason software. It is similar to Garageband, and it comes with 1000's of sounds, samples, loops. It is $200 with an education discount.
It is a semi-pro tool. It sounds good, but isn't as advanced as Logic Pro.

He can always get Logic and begin his adventures into software synths (roughly around 200 each)...some included free. If he is looking for that R and B to rap sound, Mark Of The Unicorn's Ethno Instrument is great. I could go on and on, but I believe I have given you a starting point at options not yet looked at.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I got the Remix Jampack and it was, meh, ok. It didn't really have loops for that style of beats I was interested in making.

As someone else mentioned, I would suggest reason. Just a few weeks ago I was chatting with this rap producer and I asked him what he uses to make beats and he also said reason. And his stuff is good. Reason is very flexible and you'd be able to make westcoast, g-funk, eastcoast, southern, pretty much whatever style you want.

And also would it be at all possible for you to send me a verse or something? I'm just a interested in hearing what he's like.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I would also recommend Reason. It doesn't do vocals very well, as you have to insert the sound files with a sampler (you'll see if you get it), but your son can always add the vocals in on garage band after making the backing in reason.

Reason is really awesome for music like rap. It has that big beefy sound that's difficult to create on garage band. You can get some really cool breaks and beats really easily with reason, and it comes with tonnes of samples (sounds basically). You can make a sound completely from scratch...

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thank you all

Hey it's David (the fifteen yr. old)

Just want to thank you all for the suggestions you gave me. My youth pastor is a rapper and he gave me all sorts of tips about the software I currently own and different ways to use my JamPack: Remix, so I believe I'm getting better at it and am not so frustrated now. Where can I get more information on the Reason software you mentioned?

Also I was wondering, because I am considering getting a Mini Mac, what kind of microphone should I purchase that offers quality sound at a low price, if the Mini Mac does not already have a built in one? A special thanks to Killuminati (I'll try to send you a PM), as well as everyone else responding.

Thanks!
-D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
brobson said:
what kind of microphone should I purchase that offers quality sound at a low price
start here to understand what it is you need to acquire. a microphone by itself isn't enough.

but to answer your question, get a shure sm-58, hold it in your hand and sing with your mouth against it for insta-rapper sound.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Another vote for Reason.

If I were you, I would get an M-Audio midi Keyboard so you can control all the sounds in Reason, Garageband ect...by pressing the keys on the keyboard.

This way, you can tap out beats, and samples.

PLUS, the majority of M-Audio Midi Keyboards are affordable, AND come with a free slimmed down version of Reason and sometimes Ableton Live (my favorite)

When you get accustomed to Reason (the slimmed down, free version) then you can "upgrade" to the FULL retail version for much less Money!!

Also, you can "rewire" Reason to Garageband, and use them both at the same time, and they will "sync" up and be in tempo together.

So, that way, you could use Garageband to record your Raps, and Reason to create your beats, and then click "export to iTunes" in Garageband, and the whole thing will get instanly mixed down to a single track for your listening pleasure.

good luck
happy rappin!

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
schaef2493 said:
It looks like Reason costs $500, which is probably out of your price range. Might get a better deal on eBay. Here is the webpage:

http://www.propellerheads.se/

The mac mini doesn't have a mic, I know that for a fact.

If you know of any sites that give education discounts you can get Reason cheap. $199 I don't know if they except high school discounts. You could always get someone to buy it for you.

Do searches for Reason fourms. You can find a lot of useful information about Reason. The best way to understand it is to play with it. Follow Zimv20 advice about mics, etc.

I have a Radium 61 hooked into Reason 3, and it is great fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.