Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kostamoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
New York
Hi everyone,
I've tried searching for solutions for this problem and I can't seem to find an answer, so am hoping that some of you on this forum can help me out:
I have a MBP (mid-2009) and have an external HD which I used for my TM when I had Mountain Lion. I backed up right before I upgraded to El Capitan, and in the process of installing, it had crashed, and I needed to reboot and erase my HD and re-install El Capitan. Since then, my MBP won't recognize the TM backups. The files are there, but I can't access them through TM.
Is there a way I can access this? Is there a "how to" resource online that I may have overlooked?
Thanks

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you just want to restore something, you can simply copy the files from the TM disk — no need to use the TM interface. If you want to continue using the disk as a backup, simply adding it as a new backup disk should work — the system should preserve all the data (but don't blame me if something goes wrong and you use all your precious data).

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi everyone,
I've tried searching for solutions for this problem and I can't seem to find an answer, so am hoping that some of you on this forum can help me out:
I have a MBP (mid-2009) and have an external HD which I used for my TM when I had Mountain Lion. I backed up right before I upgraded to El Capitan, and in the process of installing, it had crashed, and I needed to reboot and erase my HD and re-install El Capitan. Since then, my MBP won't recognize the TM backups. The files are there, but I can't access them through TM.
Is there a way I can access this? Is there a "how to" resource online that I may have overlooked?
Thanks
It sounds like you have installed El Capitan and now want "migrate" your data, settings, and apps from your TM backup. You should connect your TM drive and use the Migration Assistant app (in the Applications>Utilities folder) to copy your old information.
See this information from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.