Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekgzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
I'm currently on ios6 on an iphone 4s. I've held out on updating for quite a while because I don't really like changing things that work for me. However, I've reached the point where the apps that I use no longer support ios 6 and I need to upgrade. When syncing with iTunes I receive the option to update to 8 but I can't imagine that running well on the 4s. Is there a way to update to ios 7?

ekgzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
That's too bad. Is there any consensus on how usable ios 8 is on the 4s?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
If you're going to upgrade, maybe you should wait until iOS 8.1 is released, hopefully later this week or very soon thereafter. There are still some issues with iOS 8.0.2 for some users. YMMV

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's too bad. Is there any consensus on how usable ios 8 is on the 4s?
You can check out various threads about it in the iOS 8 forum here. Overall the experience isn't all that great on the 4s so far. Perhaps 8.1 or another future update might make it somewhat better.

ekgzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
I really wanted to use certain apps that weren't available on ios 6. I went ahead and updated to the most recent 8. It's honestly pretty laggy and I think the whole layout is not pleasing, but hopefully it improves with future updates. Although, I imagine they're trying to phase out the 4s - we'll see what happens. Thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.