Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delbrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Hello,

I'm new here but had seen a post which I think is similar to my issue and I'm really hoping I can get some help or advise as I'm loosing my patience.

I'll start from the bottom so it's easy to understand - I have acquired an Iphone 6s Rose Gold 64gb from a colleague of mine who was leaving the country. When he handed me the phone, he made sure that he gave me all the documents to support the phone such as plan details, his ids, even the credit card was handed over to me that was used to pay for the phone along with the box and accessories so the phone is not stolen or found.

I've been an apple user for a long time have my iphone, ipad, apple watch and even airpods and know they take their security measures very seriously which is great. I did't bother about this phone for a few months and just left it in my desk locker at work. A couple of weeks back I finally decided that I needed a second phone so decided to switch it on only to find that it was Icloud activation lock. I know that the phone is useless if I don't have the username or password to log in.

So I decided to contact apple to see if they can help out. The first time they asked me to provide all the doucments which I did. Then they came back saying that they need a copy of the purchase receipt or invoice. In the UAE when we get our phone on a plan from the network provider (Etisalat) we don't get a receipt or invoice but still I went to my service provider who were able to give me a support document to prove that the phone was purchased from them and the date, IMEI number etc.

Sent it back to Apple and yet they declined with the same reason. I was loosing all hope and became very frustrated so I escalated the issue to Apple and my case was now thrown into the hands of their management team. After a few calls and emails I was requested to go to my network provider again and request for a doucment that had a stamp. Did that but the same decline reason came back.

I've lost all hope with apple as they are utter rubbish even when you can prove the device is yours they are not willing to help.

I even have the apple id and password and when I log in I can see the phone linked to the account.

While all this drama was going on, apple told me that the phone was linked to an icould account and I can see it when I switch the phone on
y.....@163......com

I know it's a pain as I'm not able to get in touch with the guy who sold me the phone but for the life of God, have been banging my head in the wall as to which sane person would have an email as above which was when I stumbled upon the below post and made me wonder if there is a link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphonehelp/comments/3n9p7t/anyone_get_random_email_address_from_163com/

Can anyone advise or suggest or maybe if anyone has face the same issue as I know this phone is a brick otherwise and apple have said if I can maybe figure out the email address then they can possibly try to do something which is also not a sure thing.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Del

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I’d give up and move on. There’s nothing that can be done if you can’t provide the receipt as requested.

Sell it for parts is your only option if you can’t get hold of that receipt or original owner.

Reactions: delbrit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.