Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I need help.

I upgraded my MP from Yosemite to El Capitan and it worked.
However... now the computer did not let me shut it down.
The menu bar disappeared but...the background picture and the dock remained forever.
The only way to shut the computer down was now with the ON/OFF switch. :eek:

I therefore decided to get back to Yosemite for the time being until a way was found to solve that bug.
I did it by booting from a USB Yosemite clone, erasing the inner drive and cloning back from that external Yosemite USB clone drive (I had made as a precaution before upgrading).

Now I have Yosemite back in my inner drive but... no Recovery Partition...
How do I get that Partition back? :eek:

Is installing Yosemite again...and then copying back from the external clone drive over it all my applications and data the right solution?
Or does it work by restoring from the Time Machine? :(
Please help me.

Thank you very much in advance :)
Ed

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I need help.

I upgraded my MP from Yosemite to El Capitan and it worked.
However... now the computer did not let me shut it down.
The menu bar disappeared but...the background picture and the dock remained forever.
The only way to shut the computer down was now with the ON/OFF switch. :eek:

I therefore decided to get back to Yosemite for the time being until a way was found to solve that bug.
I did it by booting from a USB Yosemite clone, erasing the inner drive and cloning back from that external Yosemite USB clone drive (I had made as a precaution before upgrading).

Is installing Yosemite again...and then copying back from the external clone drive over it all my applications and data the right solution?
Please help me.

Thank you very much in advance :)
Ed
To get the recovery partition back, see Post #8 of the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/recovery-partition-wont-update.1897708/
Found with a single Google search .....

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Please help me.
If you do not have the full Yosemite installer saved somewhere then the best bet would be to download the full Yosemite installer from the App Store Purchased tab and install. The full Yosemite installer will also install the Recovery Partition. The good news if you just install the OS with the full installer then you will not have to copy back from the clone.

To be honest I do not know if Time Machine recreates the Recovery Partition. My guess would be that it does not.

For future reference. Having the clone was a good move. If it was created with Carbon Copy Cloner 4 (CCC) then you could clone back the Recovery Partition. CCC lets you clone the Recovery Partition when making a clone. If it was cloned with Super Duper then you are out of luck. Super Duper does not clone the Recovery Partition.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
If you do not have the full Yosemite installer saved somewhere then the best bet would be to download the full Yosemite installer from the App Store Purchased tab and install. The full Yosemite installer will also install the Recovery Partition. The good news if you just install the OS with the full installer then you will not have to copy back from the clone.

To be honest I do not know if Time Machine recreates the Recovery Partition. My guess would be that it does not.

For future reference. Having the clone was a good move. If it was created with Carbon Copy Cloner 4 (CCC) then you could clone back the Recovery Partition. CCC lets you clone the Recovery Partition when making a clone. If it was cloned with Super Duper then you are out of luck. Super Duper does not clone the Recovery Partition.
Thank you very much.
I cloned with CCC but for reasons unknown it did not ask to clone the recovery as well as it should have done.
As for downloading again something "bought" in the past, the advises I found (Option-Click) do not work for me.
Yosemite remains light gray and I cannot download it again.
Do not want to call Apple Support just for it since my missing Recovery Partition is much more important.
i will follow the advise of a friendly user involving 2 file donwloads and something in the Terminal and hope it works.
Anyways I found in another HD the Yosemite app.
Through the Time Machine I could not do any restore at all... and the Internet restore did not work for me either,:oops:

Thank you very much again
Ed

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.