Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickenbroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
I got one of those USPS scam messages and I’m stupid I thought someone actually just put the wrong number until I looked it up and found out it’s a scam... I’m sick and really out of it right now and I was dumb enough to respond saying they had the wrong number
Anyway I accidentally clicked the link but I closed it before the page could finish opening or redirecting to whatever it was. Then I deleted all the history and cookies and stuff. I’m still freaking out though. Am I safe?
I don’t know if it was just a phishing site that I’m safe as long as I don’t give it information or if it’s the other kind that the site itself gives you malware and I don’t know how to tell
The text was in the default messages app and the link tried to open in safari. I don’t have screenshots because I deleted the message and cleared the history

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
You're fine, that link can't extract any personal info from your phone (Apple kinda makes sure of that haha). Worst thing you could've done was put in your info after the page loaded. Even loading the page wouldn't do anything.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I get hit with random websites giving me phone number pop ups and accidentally pressing it allowing me to call the number haha no big deal but always keep weary dont want nothing to get into your phone

I once had a website somehow update my Calendar reminders with an automatic name and date each month it was some sort of virus and it freaked me out cause Apples good with security so I had to delete the Reminder on my phone

Be aware stuff like this really does get in your iPhone so take care

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I did something similar in a moment of idiocy. I went ahead and wiped the phone and restored from backup. That probably wasn't necessary, but it's not a big deal from a time and effort standpoint, so I took the safe road and did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.