Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstyearprof

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Hi all,

Sorry if this question is obvious, but any help would be much appreciated. I received notice for the "Software Update" for the "MacBook Mac Book Pro Software Update, V1.0". However, once I get to the box that says "New software is available for your computer" with the green check next to the "MacBook Mac Book Pro Software Update", I cannot install it. My only option available is "Quit" - the "Install" button is greyed out. I cannot check the little "Install" box either. I had this problem with another update recently too (which I just never got around to updating).

Can anyone help me out here? I am running Mac OSX 10.4.10 (8R2218) and I have a MacBook Pro3.1 2.4 GHz with 4MB RAM. I am on my university network at the moment.

Thanks in advance...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A *green* check mark means that Software Update just installed that update. I think the checkbox should normally be greyed out too. You can't install it again because it's already installed. I think you must have the Software Update preferences set to automatically look for and install new updates.

If you don't have that selected, then when you open the software update, it checks for updates, shows you a list, you show which ones you do/don't want to install, and then the install button ungreys whenever you have at least one selected upgrade.

Does that make any sense?

firstyearprof

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Hmmm.... I bet you're right, because at the bottom it says "MacBook Pro Software: Installed". Doh!

But I have to say it isn't exactly clear, because the main box says "New software available... etc" and the boxes say "Quit" or "Install". Not very user-friendly, mac! Bad mac!

Anyway, yeah, I think you're right, and I'm a dope. Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.