Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I went overseas and I left my iMac on, with computer and display sleep settings, set to NEVER for three weeks straight.
Now that I checked it again everything seems OK but I am worried that some hidden damage or overheating might have been caused to the computer parts.
Has anyone the same experience with this?

* The reason that I set all sleep settings to NEVER is that I needed to keep the computer operating for a couple of days so that I could remote control it with Teamviewer, but after I finished my work I forgot to set back to default the sleep settings and the computer neither the screen didn't go to sleep mode for three weeks.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Don't worry. I've had computers switched on for YEARS without being powered off, it's actually better for them!

Nerd fact: that was back in the day of Novell NetWare, a super stable operating system.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Pretty sure you'll be fine. The only thing really was the amount of hours that was put on the LCD screen. Otherwise the rest of it will be fine, many kept heir machines on 24/7 save for a power failure and even then they have battery backups to prevent any interruption, such as a server machines.

Last edited:

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
My biggest worry is the screen and if some part inside got overheat and will brake down in the near future.

Why? It doesn't get any hotter the longer you leave it on unless a fan breaks. Plus, no load equals minimal heat generated. No worries. Your iMac is fine.

I would ask why not just use wake on network activity? If you can't do that, at least let the screen sleep. Total waste of power that has no bearing on your ability to access it.

Reactions: jgelin

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
What causes the most damage to computers (or any electronics) is thermal shock. This is caused by the heating and cooling that takes place when a computer is turned on and off, or with changes in processor load. It causes microscopic expansion and contraction of the components and is one of the reasons some people leave their computers switched on all the time. You are pretty unlikely to have any problems.

Reactions: jgelin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.