Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
My friend is buying a new iBook, and he is selling his old 8600. Inside there is an ATI graphics card that is really odd. There is no model name on it, but the chipset is the Opti Viper chip. There are two outputs, one is the standard old mac video out, and the other is a really weird VGA (three row) style connector that's much larger than standard vga. There is also a (what looks like) removable 168pin edo dimm with 16mb ram ON THE VIDEO CARD!! I can't take a picture of it because I don't have a digital camera. He has an adapter that splits like a "Y" cable for his monitor. The single end plugs into this weird connector on the video card, and the other two ends are male and female mac monitor connectors. I don't undersand this at all, and I'm a pretty experienced mac user. Could this be worth anything? Could it be a dual display card? Any and all suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also can someone give me a estimated selling price for the system:

PowerMac 8600/250mhz AV (sound in and outs)
4mb video memory on the motherboard
weird ATI video card (16mb?)
160mb ram
4 gig
17" Apple Monitor

I am assuming around $250-$300 if the video card turns out to be nothing major. He also has an AudioMedia III card that he could sell with the system, but I figured that he could get a better price seperately. Again, any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Pete

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Well it defenitely is an upgrade, but I am trying to figure out what exactly the card is. I'm completely stumped. Thanks though.

-Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.