Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
So, it's about 2:00 in the morning, and I'm browsing the internet. I notice a bug crawling on my screen at the top. I ignore it for a second, but then decide to flick it off. I miss, and then I about the flick/rub it off with my finger. I think it crawled in between the plastic bezel and the lcd screen at the top of my Macbook. I don't see it anywhere. I looked all over my screen, and I don't see anything. I tried turning it off, and placing the laptop at an angle facing the light on the ceiling, hoping to get the bug out. However, I couldn't get the notebook to stay. So, I turned it back on, and I still don't see it. I guess I could of got it off and just didn't realize it. OR(!), it could be crawling around in my computer, and when I turn it on tommorrow, I'll have a nasty bug stuck in the middle of my screen.

Seriously, I've been saving up for this computer for almost a year, and I want to cry. What should I do? Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

***Also posted in the HELP section of macrumors, because it's late and I need help urgently. Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mattcube64 said:
***Also posted in the HELP section of macrumors, because it's late and I need help urgently. Thanks.

One thread should be enough.

I'd just turn the machine off, go to sleep, get some good rest, hope for the best, return in the morn, all full of zest, wearing a satin vest and possibly rubbing cream into your chest. Hopefully, it'll be out by then. :)

CuteGothTech

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
I would take it to a apple certified repair shop as soon as you can. I have seen an LCD get ruined on a PBG4 by a bunch of ants. They put a white line straight down the middle. You might need to get that bug removed.
However, if you can't get to a shop in time and something does happen, I wouldn't be mentioning anything about a bug to any apple shop. They may not replace any parts that are damaged.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I had a bug crawl into my $1200 Eizo LCD monitor, which was most distressing. It kept crawling around on the screen, wandering off for a bit and then emerging from one side or another. Eventually I got fed up and tried to get rid of it. The bug then died, right in the middle of the screen. I turned the monitor off and went to bed for the night. Come morning, it had gone! One bullet dodged.

A week or so later, another bug got inside the monitor and died in the top left corner. I thought it was a load of dead pixels, so sent it off to Eizo for them to look at. They couldn't fine anything amiss, so sent the monitor back (much to my relief, as I'd been using a crummy 17" CRT in the men time). Presumably there are a load of dead bugs in there, collecting and rotting away. Two bullets dodged.

Anyway, I'd just wait and see what happens. Don't be tempted to use the Mac, as the bug will probably be attracted to the light from the screen and decide to stick around. Wait a day or two for it to die. There's a good chance it might die off-screen. You could also try spraying some compressed air from a canister into the Mac to try and eject the bug.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Search for an iMac thread. About a month ago a guy had an iMac happen to him also. He'd be surfing, and suddenly a little bug would be crawling by...

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
how do the bugs crawl into the screen on the imac? im looking at my monitor now (which isnt a imac) and im confused how a full bug can get into the monitor???

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Well, I think I may have dodged the bullet this time. Right before going to bed last night, a similar bug landed on my screen, and I blew it off immediately. I'm thinking it was the same bug as the first. Because I just turned my Macbook on, and I don't see any bug. I'm not keeping my hopes up too high, but this definitely taught me to react faster to the bugs.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Sorry to revive an old thread but i used the search function. i noticed today during lecture a small bug crawling around in my Macbook Pro screen...towards the end of class it wandered towards the left hand edge and disappeared...i have pics and a small video of it disappearing that i took using my cellphone (in case something got messed up, i had proof)..maybe i'll get them up soon.

I'm keeping a solid colored background for at least today...i'm hoping it dies and stays there.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Try spraying bug spray from a distance and indirectly at your laptop so it will at least kill it. Hopefully it will remain hidden or fall to the bottom of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.