Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
London
Was messing about with my 3gs (was on 4.3.5, new bootloader) trying to downgrade it. I sucessfully downgraded to 4.3.3, but I wanted to get to 4.2.1 in order to install the ipad bootloader. I attempted this downgrade but the iphone went straight back into DFU and I attempted to use programs such as Tiny umbrella to kick it out since it wasnt being kicked out by holding the power and home buttons.

It has been off ever since then and rarely goes into DFU mode when I try. When it does eventually go into DFU mode, I try and restore with 4.3.5 with itunes but it gets stuck on Preparing iPhone for restore then eventually gives me error 1601 after a while.

I have tried restoring on two different computers, with different cables. I have also removed any apple entries in my hosts file. Using Win7 64bit on both.

Does anyone know how I could go about fixing it? Im pretty sure ive bricked it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
If you are sure it's brick then there is no way to make it work. Ill be more than happy to pay you $20 for your bricked 3gs.

SuperMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
London
iReb will pick it up and put it in pwned DFU, but then itunes and redsnow cant find it.
If you are sure it's brick then there is no way to make it work. Ill be more than happy to pay you $20 for your bricked 3gs.
Im not sure its a brick. And I could get at least £70 for a bricked phone here in the UK.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not bricked! D/l a program from TinyUmbrella called FixRecovery (for windows and Mac). Make a folder onto the desktop and d/l FixRecovery into this folder. Put your iPhone into DFU (if not already in DFU) and run the program.

If you get an .dll (think it's called zip1.dll) just google it and d/l it into same folder with FixRecovery.exe and start over.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You know very well that it's not bricked. After all, the OP didn't throw it into a pool or off a building.:rolleyes:

SuperMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not bricked! D/l a program from TinyUmbrella called FixRecovery (for windows and Mac). Make a folder onto the desktop and d/l FixRecovery into this folder. Put your iPhone into DFU (if not already in DFU) and run the program.

If you get an .dll (think it's called zip1.dll) just google it and d/l it into same folder with FixRecovery.exe and start over.
Thanks, just tried it and it leaves my iphone screen white and after that its undetectable my iTunes until I put it back into DFU. Gonna try the apple store and hope that they dont detect any downgrades/jailbreaks. Its not under warranty anyway so they are gonna try and charge me an arm and a leg most likely knowing apple.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

SuperMini said:
Fantasigraphic said:

Thanks, just tried it and it leaves my iphone screen white and after that its undetectable my iTunes until I put it back into DFU. Gonna try the apple store and hope that they dont detect any downgrades/jailbreaks. Its not under warranty anyway so they are gonna try and charge me an arm and a leg most likely knowing apple.

Right it's supposed to. That's DFU mode. Did you let it run? There should be a "ms-dos" screen doing some work then after that you'll see alot of "coding" on it.

Or save a trip and restore it to 4.3.5 and then go back to 4.3.3. You said that worked. Then you tried to go back to 4.2.1 (4.3.1) and that messed up. Do you have SHSH saved for that firmware?

Also I think (not sure) since you have 3GS you can actually go back to 4.1 w/o SHSH saved. for some reason apple still signing 4.1. GOOGLE it first before trying to see if still true

SuperMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
London

Right it's supposed to. That's DFU mode. Did you let it run? There should be a "ms-dos" screen doing some work then after that you'll see alot of "coding" on it.

Or save a trip and restore it to 4.3.5 and then go back to 4.3.3. You said that worked. Then you tried to go back to 4.2.1 (4.3.1) and that messed up. Do you have SHSH saved for that firmware?

Also I think (not sure) since you have 3GS you can actually go back to 4.1 w/o SHSH saved. for some reason apple still signing 4.1. GOOGLE it first before trying to see if still true
Didn't let it run, but ill try now. Wont restore to 4.1.5, and when I try and restore to 4.1 normal and custom IPSWs I get error 28.

I have no SHSH saved. Just tried going back to 3.1.3 and restored (first time ive seen the apple logo in a while) but got error 1015 which was expected. But isnt the itunes logo supposed to show on-screen with the cable when it hits that error? Because I get a black screen still and tried kicking to out with tiny umbrella but it just sat there, no signs of anything.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

Yes... You have to put phone in DFU mode run FixRecovery.

Since you have NO shsh blobs saved you cannot downgrade. Only option is do a normal restore to latest firmware

plshelpineedit

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
no worries, you can downgrade w/o thed ssh coz apple still signs 4.2.1. Just backup your windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file and delete it then download latest snowbreeze and with its integrated ireb should you put it into dfu mode than download official 4.2.1 and make a custom firmware with snowbreeze 2.1 to get rid of recovery mode. enjoy :)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
anytime somebody starts with I bricked my phone they should expect at least a little harassment. OP you already know you need shsh blobs so you should already know that you can't go back in firmware if you don't have them. It is what it is. I would like my Ford Focus to be as fast as a Lamborghini and still get good gas mileage. Guess what it's not going to happen. ;) i don't believe 4.2.1 is still being signed but I'll let you guys fight that one.

SuperMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
London

Yes... You have to put phone in DFU mode run FixRecovery.

Since you have NO shsh blobs saved you cannot downgrade. Only option is do a normal restore to latest firmware

no worries, you can downgrade w/o thed ssh coz apple still signs 4.2.1. Just backup your windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file and delete it then download latest snowbreeze and with its integrated ireb should you put it into dfu mode than download official 4.2.1 and make a custom firmware with snowbreeze 2.1 to get rid of recovery mode. enjoy :)
Thanks for all your help guys, sorted now. Apple gave me a replacement phone which happens to be unlocked too.

anytime somebody starts with I bricked my phone they should expect at least a little harassment. OP you already know you need shsh blobs so you should already know that you can't go back in firmware if you don't have them. It is what it is. I would like my Ford Focus to be as fast as a Lamborghini and still get good gas mileage. Guess what it's not going to happen. ;) i don't believe 4.2.1 is still being signed but I'll let you guys fight that one.
Cool story bro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.