Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I just joined Folding to help out but I'm alittle confused! I don't know how to download a WU, I think I have one but i'm not sure. This is the pic of what its showing. Do I have a WU? or how do I connect to get one?
Thx

Attachments

• picture-1.gif
    picture-1.gif
    40.4 KB · Views: 256

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Re: Help I'm new with Folding!

Everything is OK, you are folding! If you have a working internet connection it will connect automaticly. By now the progress bar will be some percent further I guess. The team number is correct, and you are working on a fold with some parameters of the named protein. The picture of the "screensaver" is fake, don't expect the thing you are working on will look like that. The screensaver is just consuming your processor time and showing you some nice piece of nature...

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I'm probably being stupid but do you always have to be online to do folding or does it dowload like SETI?
All I see is it saying
benchmarking....
and my progress is 0.0%
Is it downloading the file?
Nothing see,s to be happening!
I will keep it running to see what happens

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
WTF!!

Ok, I have Folding@home. I am using the graphic version, and I have had it running for about 4 days during the days. I put my comp to sleep at night.

Now, this is a G4 400MHz with 768MB of RAM. The task bar shows 31.00% done, is this right??

4 days for one WU?!?!?

Is folding control or folding console faster?

Please help me out, i'm getting frustrated!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I left my internet connection on for a half an hour with it saying
Loading Benchmarking.
Nothing happened, I re opened it now it says working, but I have 0.0% progress, this happened another time too.
I don't know what to do HELP!
It should say in that same space if everything was gong well:

Working...

No news is good news.

The Loading, Benchmarking should only last for a moment. You don't have to have an active network connection unless you are sending/receiving work units. Since it says roteinA, you have already received a WU so you should be okay.

This is a large protein your working on, so expect 1% to take ~1hr. So wait a while and see if you get 1 percent to show up. You can always re-download the client.

Ask if you have any questions or further troubles. Your efforts are appreciated. :)

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: WTF!!

Originally posted by MacAztec
Ok, I have Folding@home. I am using the graphic version, and I have had it running for about 4 days during the days. I put my comp to sleep at night.

Now, this is a G4 400MHz with 768MB of RAM. The task bar shows 31.00% done, is this right??

4 days for one WU?!?!?

Is folding control or folding console faster?

Please help me out, i'm getting frustrated!

Aren't they around the same speed? You can't put your machine to sleep if you want it to fold then...I've had a proteinag29a for ages now and it just reached 80%...just be patient...MR aren't doing too bad stats wise so there's no real rush...we're pretty fast folders..

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I have been searching for ET for a while with SETI and not found anything yet (surprise surprise!)

So yesterday I thought I'd try my luck with folding.

I have downloaded the client and am 15% through a Protein A work unit.

My first impressions are that Folding doesn't seem as professional at SETI, the website isn't as friendly or comprehensive, and neither is the client. I'll stick with it for a week or two and then decide whether to continue or go back to SETI.

I also don't like the fact that a WU will take up to 5 days. I like it with SETI that I can do 10 or so units a week and appear to be making some progress.

Just my 2p.

Cheers.

Robin

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I'm going to let it run for an hour, and see what happens. If nothing happens i will redownload the client. How fast would a 700mhz G3 do a WU in?
The G3 would be much faster due to the fact that the core process does not take advantage of altivec. The early G4's (like the one you have) and the G3's have very similar architecture with 4 pipelines. Benchmarks of the processors actually show the G3 to be slightly faster at the same clock speed.

This is 750 (g3) vs. 740X (g4), of course.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: IT WORKS!

Well it works I now have %1!! Of course that took 1 hour! SO in the time it will take to do one protien A 100 hours, I could have done 7 SETI WUs, Guess I will finish it.
SETI might take advantage of altivec, which folding does not do at this point. But all the @home clients give you a score based on your processor time.

So it's sort of like comparing apples and oranges. SETI might get through work units faster, but the CPU time that you donate to folding is the same as SETI even if the WUs for folding are slower.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by dobbin
My first impressions are that Folding doesn't seem as professional at SETI, the website isn't as friendly or comprehensive, and neither is the client. I'll stick with it for a week or two and then decide whether to continue or go back to SETI.

I also don't like the fact that a WU will take up to 5 days. I like it with SETI that I can do 10 or so units a week and appear to be making some progress.
SETI was the original, so it makes sense that it is more professional. Folding is coming along— the development team claims that they are testing a gromacs core which utilizes altivec and SSE. But this is not a reality right now, and the WU are slow. I can see how this can be frustrating.

The 10 WUs a week vs. 2 is all relative as I explained in my previous post. But if you like the fact that you are actually doing more for the cause then just for the scoring, then that's a different argument.

Wish you well on your decision.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by backspinner
Remember, you can also get stats at the following pages:
http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/3446.html for stats of your finished units
and
http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/index.html for stats of the teams

dang. that's pretty cool. a bit much, but cool to see all those details and projections and whatnot

as for my recent lack of production... i was reinstalling os x on my hard drive and so i'm back in action now after a few days of nothing..... word up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.