Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kringlelikechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
Hey guys, I'm in deep trouble. My iMac 2011 no longer starts up. Attached is a photo of what comes up on my screen every time I turn it on. Did this ever happen to anyone? Please help me solve this problem without losing all my files.

Attachments

• IMG_7916.JPG
    IMG_7916.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 222

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey guys, I'm in deep trouble. My iMac 2011 no longer starts up. Attached is a photo of what comes up on my screen every time I turn it on. Did this ever happen to anyone? Please help me solve this problem without losing all my files.
Interesting - Your init process commits suicide. Can you get into recovery mode or safe mode? Is it possible to boot an OS from an external disk? (No matter if it's Linux, macOS or Windows). – If you can't boot anything, try running an Apple Hardware Test.

kringlelikechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
Interesting - Your init process commits suicide. Can you get into recovery mode or safe mode? Is it possible to boot an OS from an external disk? (No matter if it's Linux, macOS or Windows). – If you can't boot anything, try running an Apple Hardware Test.
I was able to get to Recovery mode but was unable to install macOS Sierra for some reason. It said something like, "we need to verify that your apple is legit" or something close to those lines..

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I was able to get to Recovery mode but was unable to install macOS Sierra for some reason. It said something like, "we need to verify that your apple is legit" or something close to those lines..

That usually just means you need to enter an Apple ID - No prompt came up asking for one? – Do you have access to another Mac? That issue should be avoided if you create a bootable USB or something from an App Store download, since in that case, it'll verify with the Apple ID used for the download
If you don't have access to another Mac, try booting in Safe Mode and seeing if you can download it from the App Store then.

kringlelikechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
That usually just means you need to enter an Apple ID - No prompt came up asking for one? – Do you have access to another Mac? That issue should be avoided if you create a bootable USB or something from an App Store download, since in that case, it'll verify with the Apple ID used for the download
If you don't have access to another Mac, try booting in Safe Mode and seeing if you can download it from the App Store then.
I have access to my MacBook Pro. So do I download sierra onto a flash drive and reinstall on Recovery mode from there?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have access to my MacBook Pro. So do I download sierra onto a flash drive and reinstall on Recovery mode from there?

You don't just copy paste over the installer though - There's a Terminal command that tells the installer to make a bootable USB, such that you can boot directly into "recovery mode" from the USB instead of your hard disk.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Replace "Untitled" with the name of your USB. Beware - all data on the USB will be deleted

When you boot the system, hold the Option/alt key, and pick the USB from the boot menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.