Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViddyWell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Macbook Pro (model A1150, Intel Core Duo, 2006) w/ freshly-installed and updated OSX 10.6.8 (highest OS that can be installed).

From my ancient 1993 Mac Performa 550 (w. System 7.5, I think) I have an old floppy disk game which I loved playing, U-Boat by Deadly Games.

I can't get this game installed on my laptop.

Using my Windows 10 box, I downloaded floppy images with a .dsk extension from Mac game archives.

These were saved on a FAT 32 flash drive, along with some suggested compression tools, Stuffit Expander 14.0.1 and ShrinkWrap-3.sea.mrb, and transferred to the Mac.

I tried opening these with Stuffit Expander, but nothing happens.

I tried opening a .exe file, but just get a text window with mostly special characters and space.

Then I tried opening a .iso file. After double-clicking it, a new window opens with an icon reading "Double-click on me." After doing so, a message window apears: "You can't open the application Double-click on me, because the Classic environment is no longer supported."

I tried ShrinkWrap, but can't get the file opened.

And in System preferences, there's no option to enable the Classic environment, which I read was available after OS 9.

So, is there any app I can use on this laptop to allow me to play this game?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That game was written for Motorola chips. It’s super old and won’t run an Intel Mac at all. The Classic environment only works on G3/G4/G5 Macs with Mac OS X. Your only option is Sheepshaver or Basilik VM with install of OS9.
Would that even work under OS9? I mean, a game that old goes all the way back to 68K code right?

Reactions: TheShortTimer

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
That game was written for Motorola chips. It’s super old and won’t run an Intel Mac at all. The Classic environment only works on G3/G4/G5 Macs with Mac OS X. Your only option is Sheepshaver or Basilik VM with install of OS9.
I have OS 9 running on Sheepshaver VM and use it to play 68K games but it’s a bit of a pain to get configured just right.

I’ve only gotten Basilik VM only running up to OS8. But if your 68K game will run under OS8, You can use Macintosh.js which is a turn key implementation of Basilik, but it has to be run directly from the application folder.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

ViddyWell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Thanks for all the super-quick and informative suggestions. I'm relatively new to Macs past the '90s, so it'll take me some time to sort through all the ideas. I'm glad everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable on the subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.