Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxTheTechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
So I have OS X 10.1 Puma installed on my iBook G3 Snow. but i wanted to upgrade it. but sadly i only had 2 blank CDs left, so i used the blank CDs for Jaguar. So when was installing Jaguar. The Installer gets stuck in the essential system apps part and the CD Drive stops. HOW DO I FIX IT! I CAN'T UPGRADE!

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2020
Most likely your cd got burned incorrectly or the download got corrupted. Some older cd drives have difficulty reading burned disks. You can help them out by burning at the lowest speed and using high quality disks. I would recommend buying more cds of a high quality brand and reburning the disks with a fresh download. If you have a firewire cd drive you could use that or if you have another mac you could try using firewire target disk mode and use the cd drive in the other computer.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I know for sure USB boot works on them -- I used it on my 900MHz. With that in mind, you should be able to get the 10.2.6 Internal edition DVD (so that it's a single image), image it to a flash drive, and when it's done, plug it into the iBook and hold the option key down while it's booting. Then once it's done installing, go to Macintosh Garden and get the 10.2.8 update.​

MaxTheTechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
I know for sure USB boot works on them -- I used it on my 900MHz. With that in mind, you should be able to get the 10.2.6 Internal edition DVD (so that it's a single image), image it to a flash drive, and when it's done, plug it into the iBook and hold the option key down while it's booting. Then once it's done installing, go to Macintosh Garden and get the 10.2.8 update.​
I will try USB. even tho it's slow as heck. Thanks :).

Reactions: lepidotós

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Installing older OS X is a much faster install from an external Firewire drive.
An external Firewire enclosure is a great tool to have available, particularly if you more than one old USB 1-equipped Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.