Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hi, here's the present situation.

SSD INSTALL
- switched original HDD with new SSD in 2012 MBP
- booted with CCC clone from external hard drive, to format SSD to HFS (journaled)
- after format, SSD is recognized in CCC and Finder

INSTALL PROCESS
- during restart brand new Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disc will not boot after several tries
- got frustrated and started CCC cloning process, after which if successful, I'll do a clean install.
- looks like CCC will take a long, long time (USB 2.0 external hdd)

So, why did my Snow Leopard disc not boot, and what can I do to get it to work? It gets stuck on the white screen with the grey apple, with no progress bar.

Tia

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That machine is too new for Snow Leopard. Use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mac OS X 10.8 or higher.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
That machine is too new for Snow Leopard. Use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mac OS X 10.8 or higher.

Is that the simplest approach? I'm seriously not too bright. Was told to install 10.6.3 so I can upgrade to 10.10.2.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
That's the only approach, unless you have a USB installer for 10.7.5 or newer.

Thanks for your help so far. :cool: I seemed to recall I needed a more current Snow Leopard than 10.6.3 in order to upgrade, so was surprised when two sources pointed me to the 10.6.3 disc.

So looks like the CCC clone installed--looks like my system is intact and is working now.

Im assuming your direction to use Internet Recovery, is if I wanted to, at this point, do a clean install?

Obviously I need better preparation before I go through this exercise again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not if the Mac will not take 10.6, as this one won't as MBPs came with 10.7 from Oct 2011.

You misunderstood what I wrote, which admittedly could be clearer. The OP was asking if he needed to use internet recovery, which is what I was replying to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.