Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idicula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I bought a used Intel Mac Mini and I was having issues getting the remote control to work. Heres what happens:

I hit the menu button to activate Front Row but the only thing that happens is the screen goes dim (like when you activate Expose) and the Apple Remote shows up with zzz's. I've attached a link to a videoclip, you can see it here

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I know you can HOLD the menu button to make your Mac sleep. Is that ZZZ icon used in that situation?

Maybe it thinks you are holding the button down longer? Weak battery? Stuck button?

idicula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
nagromme said:
I know you can HOLD the menu button to make your Mac sleep. Is that ZZZ icon used in that situation?

Maybe it thinks you are holding the button down longer? Weak battery? Stuck button?

Really! Thats interesting because thats what it does, it goes into sleep but I'm not holding the button. I just tap it and it goes right into sleep mode. I went out and got a replacement battery but it didn't help at all. Something that I found in the users manual dealt with the issue of pairing the remote with the mini. The thing is when I go to System Prefs/Security at the bottom I can't even unpair the remote. Do you guys think there's something wrong with the remote or the IR. I tried searching for this on the net but no luck.

idicula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
i tried pairing it using the method posted above. No luck though, will keep trying.

Thanks

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It sounds like it could be either hardware or software... is there an Apple Store (or fellow Mac-owner) near you? You could try pairing your remote with a different Mac and see how it acts.

jlewis2k1 said:
Actually ...

1) Play/Pause puts the computer to sleep
2) Play and Menu pairs the remote to the computer
Oh, right.

Holding the menu button is for Boot Camp (OS selection meny during startup).

idicula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
anyone have any other ideas? I'll be going to an Apple Store today will let you know how that goes.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
I have software for my Mini's remote, "mira". It sets which buttons do what on your remote. I got it from Apple's download page, find it and see if it helps by changing the functions around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.