Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt@oklahoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Hello, Im hoping some of you all can help me with a reoccurring problem I have.
BACKSTORY: I'm very tough on phones. I work as a fireman, and then a side job with metal fabrication and general construction, so my phone (which is crucial to my job as a fireman to receive emergency information, and the metal business) is regularly exposed to water, dirt, the occasional drop, etc.
My Iphone X completely gave up on me this morning. I am now looking at the iphone 12 mini because I like the smaller size. I would plan on getting an auxiliary battery case to supplement the shorter battery life of the iphone 12 mini.
QUESTION: would the iphone 12 mini and battery case combination hold up to the conditions i will put it through? there is little to no information about the water resistance of external battery phone cases that i've found. OR, does anybody have a better recommendation for the phone/case i should ?
Thanks for any help, if you could explain any technical information like your explaining it to a child that would be great. Im great with construction and emergency services, not so much with phone technology terminology.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Hello, Im hoping some of you all can help me with a reoccurring problem I have.
BACKSTORY: I'm very tough on phones. I work as a fireman, and then a side job with metal fabrication and general construction, so my phone (which is crucial to my job as a fireman to receive emergency information, and the metal business) is regularly exposed to water, dirt, the occasional drop, etc.
My Iphone X completely gave up on me this morning. I am now looking at the iphone 12 mini because I like the smaller size. I would plan on getting an auxiliary battery case to supplement the shorter battery life of the iphone 12 mini.
QUESTION: would the iphone 12 mini and battery case combination hold up to the conditions i will put it through? there is little to no information about the water resistance of external battery phone cases that i've found. OR, does anybody have a better recommendation for the phone/case i should ?
Thanks for any help, if you could explain any technical information like your explaining it to a child that would be great. Im great with construction and emergency services, not so much with phone technology terminology.

Any reason you’re not considering the 13 mini as that has better battery life to start with, will be very similar if not likely better than your iPhone X. So rather than paying for an external battery, pay a bit more for the phone and don’t worry about the battery life.

If however you are set on the 12 mini, the MagSafe battery pack is not water resistant, nor would I wanted to put it through rigorous environments every day.

There are third party battery cases for the 12 mini but they are quite hit and miss and add a fair bit of bulk to the device.

matt@oklahoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Any reason you’re not considering the 13 mini as that has better battery life to start with, will be very similar if not likely better than your iPhone X. So rather than paying for an external battery, pay a bit more for the phone and don’t worry about the battery life.

If however you are set on the 12 mini, the MagSafe battery pack is not water resistant, nor would I wanted to put it through rigorous environments every day.

There are third party battery cases for the 12 mini but they are quite hit and miss and add a fair bit of bulk to the device.
I wasnt aware there was a mini version of the iphone 13, ill defintiely have to look into that. thanks!

Reactions: RRC

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
get the 13. i've had both and the 13 is so much better than the 12 (it even surprised me)

Reactions: RRC

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I am curious, in which way? On paper the differences are rather minor.

Larger battery, brighter screen, better modems, larger and better camera sensor/lens from last years 12 Pro Max with further improvements, higher base storage…

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Larger battery, brighter screen, better modems, larger and better camera sensor/lens from last years 12 Pro Max with further improvements, higher base storage…

battery life and antennas are the two killer upgrades for me.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I would recommend using the tradie cases on the phone
c101b50218a97593c38255f66c2e7c58.jpg

Something like that or CAT. Depends on your country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.