Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Both of my kids have iPhone 7’s. Starting yesterday, after the 12.2 update automatically downloaded (I assume) both of their phones have essentially stopped working. They cannot send or receive text messages. Calls immediately roll to voicemail and they cannot make calls. The connectivity indicator shows the daughter I am with at the moment is connected to 3G only (my iPhone X a couple feet away is on 5G), but phone acts like there is no connection at all. No internet, nothing. They can use apps that do not require connectivity on the phone. I am with one of the kids on a trip (when all this started) and I tried a hard reboot and reset her network settings and no change. Help! It’s especially stressful because we are out of town, so we have no way to communicate if separated.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
A tricky one. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Else you could try finding a computer with a reasonably fast internet access and iTunes and just restore the iPhones? Good luck!

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
A tricky one. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Else you could try finding a computer with a reasonably fast internet access and iTunes and just restore the iPhones? Good luck!

Did a full restore on one of them, still need wifi to do anything.

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Turns out one of them did have a hardware issue and they have fixed it. The other one is now working for texts but not phone calls, and they didn’t know what the problem was. They said it was not hardware. Both phones, a couple of years old, started having the exact same problems, literally within 2 hours of one another, and they are telling us one has a hardware issue causing the problem and the other one does not, but they don’t know what the problem is. They told us we have to send the other one out to “the factory” for evaluation, but no idea what is might cost to fix. And they gave us a loaner for the one they acknowledged had a hardware issue, but won’t for the other. So frustrating. We are living with just texts and no calls for now, but I’m obviously not pleased.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
I just had the same issue yesterday. My speaker setting stopped working. I called Apple for the last two days and they are refusing to accept responsibility. I just saw this thread here but I started another thread moments ago. There is also a petition on Change.org. This is becoming a huge issue for all iPhone 7 owners. Check it out here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-after-software-update.2194882/#post-27654047

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.