Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Hi all,

I'm having a major problem with my old iBook G3 and wanted to get some advice before I get the credit card out and give in to the temptation of a shiny new MacBook...

Basically, last night I left the iBook downloading a few bits and pieces. This morning when I went to check on it it was making some pretty nasty grinding noises and I was unable to shut the machine down using normal means so I just turned the power off. I then tried powering on again and not a lot happened - just more grinding, so I powered down again.

I left the iBook to cool down for a half hour or so in case it was a fan issue and tried powering on again. This time, no grinding... more of a humming / buzzing sound. Again, not a lot happened except for a grey screen with a folder icon with a question mark alternating with the Mac "smiley face" logo.

Any ideas? Have I got a shiny white paperweight now?

Cheers in advance...

Phil_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2003
I have to admit that I haven't tried that yet - I'll give it a go when I get in from work! I'm still a bit worried by the grinding though... :eek:

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Sounds like your harddrive's died. Should be quite cheap to replace, although I'm sure you just want people to tell you that you need to get the credit card out for a new MB! :D

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Run your hardware test disc first, then try te repair the disc using the install discs. Good luck, your drive is likely toast, but it might be salvageable (weird stuff happens)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.