Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic.tan0105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Hi I just bought over a 2nd hand iPhone XS, most likely jailbroken

1) Computer and iTunes unable to detect iPhone, keep trying to install this sony ericsson driver
2) Internal storage contains folders of an Android phone
3) Android bot shows up during erasing of iPhone
4) Apps storage shows an app "Trick" with the icon being an Android bot

So far I have not started using the phone as I am trying to restore it back to an unjailbroken state.

Does anyone have any advice?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
That, err, doesn't sound like an iPhone. I'm happy to be corrected as my knowledge of jailbreaking is non-existent but I don't know how any traces of an Android OS could be installed.

Certainly when you plug it in, the hardware ID on Windows should try to install an Apple driver, regardless of what OS is installed. I can't see how a Sony driver would try to install. Again I might be completely wrong.

Could you take a number of photos of the device please?

mic.tan0105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
That, err, doesn't sound like an iPhone. I'm happy to be corrected as my knowledge of jailbreaking is non-existent but I don't know how any traces of an Android OS could be installed.

Certainly when you plug it in, the hardware ID on Windows should try to install an Apple driver, regardless of what OS is installed. I can't see how a Sony driver would try to install. Again I might be completely wrong.

IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2141.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2140.JPG unknown driver.JPG

Reactions: JPack

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I might be off on this as well, but I don't believe there is an iOS 12 jailbreak that's out yet, and since iOS 12 is all that could be running on a XS, it doesn't appear to be an actual iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

mic.tan0105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
I even went to check on the serial number and warranty status on the Apple website. It's there. Cant believe if it's really not an actual iPhone

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
IMO, there are 2 possible scenarios here:
  1. Your phone is the first ever example of the current iOS running a jailbreak.
  2. Your phone isn’t really an iPhone.
I’d call the latter much more likely.

There could be a 3rd option, but I’m unaware of it.

@mic.tan0105 , what country are you in and where did you acquire the phone?

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I even went to check on the serial number and warranty status on the Apple website. It's there. Cant believe if it's really not an actual iPhone
I've seen some videos of fake iPhones from China. I'm not saying that yours is a fake, just that some of the fake iPhones make very convincing iPhones.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Agreed, it's a clone.

Even without looking at the software, the radius of the notch gives it away. The screen protector doesn't fit properly because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.