Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have locked myself out of my mac studio. I have the various ways of resetting supplied by apple support. They don't work. But I think i know why. I locked it up trying to enter the new sign in password I setup to make a couple of US Fed sights happy with the password I was using no special characters apparently. I changed it to make them happy. I restarted the computer and in a ultimate loser moment I realized i was entering my Apple ID and not the sign in password. The Mac Timed and locked me out. An again The Mac did not recognize the new sign in password, because I didn't go in the terminal to confirm it. Naturally I failed to record the old one. now I am going to note the old password in BitWarden. I feel like putting a sack on my head.

Here is is the question the reset commands are not working because the computer is timed out and locked and I will have to wait, another 20 min as I type this on my PC, for it to open than use the reset commands. Restart-command-R, or hold down the on-off button for the restart screen. I am going to make sure i have my password recorded properly.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Scoped out the problem the Command+7 restart command does not bring up were you have to change passwords. the is a long hold down of the on off button. I screwed it up royally thought I am locked out for awhile. will Call Apple support again tomorrow. For a short time I was thinking about getting an MacBook Air M3 but I decided the iPad pro M3 is what I need.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One keeps either a "black book" with ALL passwords recorded in it, or (in lieu of that), a "digital database" with sites and their related passwords. (I maintain the latter)

Go forth from this day and learn.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
All back up and running. What a PIA. As usual my Apple Demon familiar made me look like a fool. I use Bitwarden as my password manager, Apple Keychain as well. BitWarden works great with Keychain. BitWarden keeps a log of all of the past PINs used. I found this out belatedly. I managed to get my Apple ID fixed, with the help of Apple support. Doing this it took me into the Terminal to enter "changemypassword". This was not coming up when I was trying to change my sign in password. I entered the last password that worked and it did. The trouble started with trying to sign into FedGov sites for tax documents. The US Fed's does not seem to like Apple, and Apple ID. this happened the last time I tried to do the same thing last tax season. I am going to use the PC and Google's password manager from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.