Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
My friend has an iPhone 6 something. He is always sticking the antiquated equipment as that is what he is comfortable with.

His phone is no longer working. It just gets stuck on the apple logo and that’s it.

He doesn’t use the cloud to backup pictures because he is one of those anti-clouders thinking that one day that will be hacked.

His mother passed away a month ago and he has pictures and videos before she passed on that phone. Again nothing backed up to the cloud.

Is there anyway to recover these pictures and videos even if the phone won’t boot past the apple logo? A piece of equipment we can buy or someone who knows how to just get to that part of the HD on the phone

poor guy lost his mother and he is distraught.

thank you.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know if this will help:

If your friend did not make backups to the cloud or iTunes, it's not looking good for him.

I've run into other folks who are so paranoid about being hacked, they won't use the cloud or even make backups. That can be a hard lesson to learn when things go south.

I hope your friend can recover his photos and videos.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Thank you brother! You’ve heard of antivaxers well he is an anticlouder. Horrible situation. Last videos of his mom before she passed.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
You may have luck with a data recovery service but it's not going to be cheap. This is why backups are so critical. It's not a matter of if, but when, you will need to restore a backup.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
If he is willing to pay several hundred dollars, iPad Rehab might be able to recover the pictures for him.
300-600 dollars might be worth it. It’s his mom. That’s priceless in itself.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
I also just realized one thing. The word “delete” isn’t permanent. You think that when you format a hard drive or any writeable media it’s clean when in reality, for a price, it’s not.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I also just realized one thing. The word “delete” isn’t permanent. You think that when you format a hard drive or any writeable media it’s clean when in reality, for a price, it’s not.

Caveat there, if one has enabled Touch ID/Face ID on the device, then the contents are encrypted. I don't know how easy it would to recover data if the iPhone was encrypted.

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
What makes you think that the info is encrypted by just Touch ID or Face ID? And that brings me to another question. Is iCloud encrypted?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You or your friend can backup iPhone data to the computer using iTunes. No cloud needed. Make an encrypted backup with password to save most of the password.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
If he doesn’t back up to the cloud, maybe he has backed up to his computer?
Has he downloaded his photos to the Photos app on his desktop/laptop?

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Board level repair is possible, I dont know the exact issue but there are guys that can de-solder the nand and put it on another motherboard, that is if the nand isn't the issue. This is extreme and may or may not work. Worth a try in his case.

Hope he can recover and also takes away a lesson here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.