Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelovehearts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Hi guys,

I think I have accidentally deleted my Preview.app on my MacBook pro while I was cleaning it. I am freaking out cause I could not find it anywhere in my computer or online.

Could somebody please send me Preview.app because I don’t have the installation disc(second-hand MacBook) Thank you guys in advance!

I am currently on MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, you should reinstall High Sierra. That doesn't mean wiping your drive and completely starting over.

Follow these directions. Make sure you backup your Mac first. You may also want to create a USB installer of High Sierra for convenience down the road.

Reactions: chabig

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi guys,

I think I have accidentally deleted my Preview.app on my MacBook pro while I was cleaning it. I am freaking out cause I could not find it anywhere in my computer or online.

Could somebody please send me Preview.app because I don’t have the installation disc(second-hand MacBook) Thank you guys in advance!

I am currently on MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

First, make sure that second hand MacBook you have is fully registered to you with your Apple ID. If it is, you can download and reinstall macOS as recommended. If that MacBook is not registered to you and your Apple ID, you won't be able to reinstall macOS until it is.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
SIP should protect the default apps like Preview, so unless OP disabled SIP it should not be possible to delete Preview.
As a point of reference, I have a brand new 2018 Mac mini CBO (6 days old). The OS defaults are intacted with FV on. Two days ago, I used AppCleaner to delete GarageBand. With it being a protected app, I had to give single use admin permission to AppCleaner to delete the app. I have not messed with SIP at all.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I just tried to delete Preview. The system will not allow it, nor will AppCleaner work. GarageBand is not a protected app and can easily be deleted. I deleted it long ago. @Weaselboy is correct, unless SIP is disabled protected apps such as Preview can not be deleted.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I just tried to delete Preview. The system will not allow it, nor will AppCleaner work. GarageBand is not a protected app and can easily be deleted. I deleted it long ago. @Weaselboy is correct, unless SIP is disabled protected apps such as Preview can not be deleted.
Thanks for the correction. The reason I thought it was protected, is because when I tried to delete, it had a greyed out lock on it, and I had to give AppCleaner permission to delete it.

Is it possible for one of the thread party cleaning programs to be given elevated privileges, whereby the OP would not need to give permission outside of the installation of apps like "Clean My Mac?" I have never used such, so don't know.

Maybe the Mac she has had SIP turned off prior to her getting it, and she didn't know?

Reactions: Weaselboy

angelovehearts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Hi! I took your advice and reinstalled high sierra and the preview is there again. Thank you so much for your help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As a point of reference, I have a brand new 2018 Mac mini CBO (6 days old). The OS defaults are intacted with FV on. Two days ago, I used AppCleaner to delete GarageBand. With it being a protected app, I had to give single use admin permission to AppCleaner to delete the app. I have not messed with SIP at all.

/System/Library/Sandbox/rootless.conf

All the SIP protected apps are listed in this file, and as you found GarageBand is not in there.

Maybe the Mac she has had SIP turned off prior to her getting it, and she didn't know?

Could be. I was just surprised OP did not seem that familiar with macOS, but had SIP disabled.

Those third party cleanup apps won't bypass SIP protection that I have found.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

Because GarageBand is a MAS app. It's not a SIP-protected system app.

Last edited:

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
This thread is interesting to learn more advanced topics about the OS.

I just had to turn SIP off and on to run a Terminal process to determine where an applications settings file (plist) might be. I'll post if interested.

Is there a good summary source of "Advanced" topics for the MacOS? It's more of a random discovery process at the moment.

By the way, I started in Mac with the original 1984 box up to PowerPC. Had to leave for the Windows world until I bought an iMac after retirement. Some of you may remember you needed ResEdit to modify the old Macs (Macintosh System Software System I). Just adding a Font to the OS was an operation.

Think of this: the first Mac had a 400KB floppy drive. It had to contain the MacOS, the Application and the Data. You booted off the floppy every time you used the Mac. But, oh was it a fun machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.