Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makris0000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
I am in the process of buying a new iMac for my office. I currently use a 2019 intel Macbook Pro and have two 4K monitors hooked up to it (3 displays total). I was hoping to get a blue iMac (512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 8 Core CPU and 10 Core GPU) and hook up my current 4K monitors to that. However I discovered the M3 chip is limited and can only have 1 external monitor for a total of 2 displays.

Would I be able to buy a displaylink adaptor as a workaround so I can have two 4K external monitors plus the screen of the iMac as a 3rd screen? I have found this one so far which has great reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CS8D3KF2?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_MK6NEE7GF3SMCG1NFYY0. Maybe there is one Apple sells that would be more compatible?

The reason I do not want to get a Mac Mini or Mac Studio is because I need a webcam, microphone, and speakers and I would rather have something that is all-in-one.

Thanks in advance.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It looks like that should work. M1Displays.com has some other recommendations as well.

Also, be sure to research and consider the downsides of using DisplayLink. It's generally fine for office type work, but you may notice things that are different or can't do compared to natively/hardware driven displays.

Some examples are:
  • Cannot watch HDCP protected content (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc.) unless the DisplayLink displays are disconnected or use other work arounds.
  • Lagginess and compression artifacts may be seen, especially when working with video or games and/or using 4K displays.
  • DisplayLink doesn't support True Tone or Night Shift. The DisplayLink displays won't match the native display(s) in color temperature if either of these are used.
  • MacOS updates can break DisplayLink and have to wait until Synaptics (the makers of DisplayLink) pushes out a software update/patch.

Reactions: colodane

makris0000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Clearwater Beach
So my new iMac came in 4 days early! Just got it set up and I am happy to report that the Display Port thing is working for the 2nd external monitor for a total of 3 monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.