Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

microcosmos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
First of all you people need to know that my English are not so good and that I'm new to the forum.So be kind..lol.
I own an early model Intel mac mini with core 2 duo, 2.0 GHz processor and 2 Gb ram running Leopard snow 10.6.3 to a changed HDD 80Gb 7200 rpm.
I've started by making a partition taking half capacity of 80Gb HDD with the boot camp, then ran the ubuntu 9.10 to the new partition.
Up to here everything was fine, but when I reboot it the Alt button would not give my any choice of the OS (MAC or LINUX).
The Ubuntu was fine but no Mac OS on the mini.
Since the HDD was backed up earlier I thought that it would be wise to redo the whole thing from the beginning.
So, I've started formatting bit by bit the whole HDD with the Gparted (Linux application).
That was it.After what everything wend even worst.

A). It would not boot from the HDD (ok. that was expected after formatting practically everything ). A grub error was coming on a black screen.
B). Would not boot by a ubuntu cd, at least not strait-away.
I had to go through the live cd cause the keyboard was dead (or better not recognized).
Not up or down keys and even the enter button was not working.
Third.
C). And the worst of all, It would not boot from the original Leopard snow cd.No keyboard options again (c, d, or alt button)

After all that I've found out that I had a problem to the Master boot record (MBR).
So I took the HDD of the mac and reformat it to fat32 on windows pc with a paragon application called partition manager (I think).Then I've fix or delete the MRB (or something like that) with the same application.
My next move was to erase and format to HFS journaled the HDD to my other mac by the Disk utility.
When I've retry booting I thought all problems would be over.
A new message "No bootable device. Insert boot disk an press any key" comes on my black screen every time that I'am powering it up (and try to run a CD).
Of course no keyboard is recognized again (for options c, d, or alt).
I assuming that another kind of info (something very basic for mac) is been deleted from the mac mini.
Also I do not know where would this kind of information it's installed the first time (to the mother-boards chipset? to the Ram? -I doubt it- or the multi-formatted HDD?)
Any idea what happened or how can I regain my GREAT Leopard?
I'll go crazy without it.

Thank you all in advanced, Microcosmos.

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Repartition your hard drive and use GUID scheme for the partition.
After that restore from your backup and your mini should be fine.

it seems with installing ubuntu you deleted your entire hard drive :eek:
your mini will not boot from an ms-dos partition scheme.

hope this helps

microcosmos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Repartition your hard drive and use GUID scheme for the partition.
After that restore from your backup and your mini should be fine.

it seems with installing ubuntu you deleted your entire hard drive :eek:
your mini will not boot from an ms-dos partition scheme.

hope this helps
I'll try this, but shouldn't be running the Leopard CD (or even use the keyboard)?
Because that would let me use the disk utility with no need to remove the HDD from mac mini to another mac as an external Hard Disk Drive.
And why this thing it did not happened with my mac-pro when I've replaced the OLD OS HDD with a new (unformatted-one).
Then I did everything from the beginning (leopard cd, ect ect).
Anyway thank you for your time and help.
As I've said earlier I'll give it a go and I'll let you know the news.

Microcosmos.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
I'm not an expert in these matters, but I think you're right. Your Mac should always be able to start from CD.

Sounds like you've taken the Mini apart a number of times. Perhaps you've not properly connected all cables? Also, try Resetting PRAM. I.e. power up while holding Command, Option, P, R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.