Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebeccamarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
I am having issues with my disc space for my MacBook Air Version 10.10.5. I have only 4.99GB of free disc space on it, which makes it difficult to store anything at all or download anything new. I have placed nearly every document on my external hard drive and deleted them from my computer. The storage breakdown tells me that I am using 42.94 GB on "Other" and 39.85GB on Photos. I have deleted the old iPhoto from my old Macbook that I had on here when I got the new laptop, and any other photo that I could think of. On the new Photos app, I have nearly 12,000 photos and 350 videos from the past two years, but everything is being backed up onto iCloud, so I don't understand why the photos are seemingly still on my device. Is it because I have Photo Stream worked in? I don't fully understand how it works, and if it serves to store photos from my other devices (like my iPhone) onto my computer, or if those, too, are just stored in iCloud.

Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.