Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDmitry

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I would really appreciate if someone reminded me how to connect two macbooks while in the same room through a wireless network. I know you have to make a network and have the other person join your personal network but I forgot how. I also know that you can do this with the new feature in iChat but I would like to know how to do this the old fashioned way. Thanks.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
yeah i second that, there is the infastructure mode which is the regular, and the Ad Hog which is wireless P2P kinda thing, i am not sure how to do it on the mac or even if possible, seems like a simple enough feature

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
There is a Computer-to-Computer option in the Airport Prefs...but the best way to do it (this is how I do it), is to hook your Wireless station (Airport, linksys, etc) to a gigabit ethernet switch, and then hook up all the other wired machines (Macs) in your house to that switch. Then you use the "Go" menu in the Finder, go the bottom, "Connect to Server...", then hit "Browse" and every Mac on your network that has enabled Personal File Sharing will show up on there. In order to share files you must enable Personal File Sharing, in the Sharing prefs, in System Preferences.

*Note: you can use an ethernet hub of any sort or an ethernet switch, but a gigabit switch will work best. Also, I use the Airport Extreme Base station. It's great, and I've had no problems with it. I have four Macs on my house on this network, and I can surf wirelessly, Print to any printer in my house (also wirelessly) and share files between computers and any hard drive or disk that is connected.

As far as the Computer to computer stuff, I don't have much experience, but make sure both your machines have this selected so they can find each other when they are in range.

Good luck
-WardC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.