Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneyMountian64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Hi there I'm David and I have got this new MacBook pro and I can't install steam because when I go to drag the Steam.dmg to the Applications folder it gives me a message like this (the alias "application" can't be opened because the original item can't be found) if you know what is wrong please assist me thanks for the support.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Maybe your explanation is not accurate. Did you 1) drag the Steam.dmg file to the Applications folder or 2) did you open (double-click) the Steam.dmg file and drag the Steam folder that was shown in a window that Steam.dmg opened to the Applications folder in the same window? It should be the latter.

If #2 is what you did the "can't be opened because the original item can't be found" seems to occur mainly on networked drives. If that's the case, you should copy the Steam.dmg file to your local computer drive and open it there.

If none of these apply, it could be a corrupted download. I would re-download and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.