Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PIA_S_I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Please help!

I’m no techie, but have tried as many possible fixes as I could find in forums to try and resolve this issue.

My 2017 MBP (running Mojave 10.14.3) randomly began restarting every time it was in sleep mode — whether I closed the lid or left it open. I’ve since unchecked the box which allows it to put hard disks to sleep and now if I leave the lid open, it seems to not restart, but still does if I close the lid.
(I’m also concerned that leaving the lid open with the computer not going into sleep mode will shorten the lifespan of the machine, so would prefer to find a fix than just continue doing this.)

Below are all the things I have tried, in order:
- reinstall Mac OS
- PRAM reset
- SMC reset
- deleted sleepimage file (I think, I’ve never used Terminal before but put the code in and hit enter, then entered password.. does that do it?)
- tried to look at the crash logs in Console but don’t really know what I’m looking at!

I think I’m getting what people call a Kernel Panic (?) — whenever I open the lid, there is a message on a black screen that says something along the lines of “your computer had to restart due to a problem. Press any key to start up.” (Paraphrased)

Is anyone able to help or suggest what to do next?
Is my lappy doomed?
HELP!
Thanks

airtonRumors

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Hi, exact the same problem here, leaving my mpb lid open all the time. if I choose to power off I need to wait the black screen error and hold power/touch id button for 4s to shut down.

First time found my backpack very warm because of this problem the machine never sleeps/power off without crashing. At least leaving the lid open I think it never really sleeps and don't crash. Already tried all the software options...

Are you found any solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.