Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have these 4 images that I would like to make into a gif for my avatar but I have no photoshopping abilities at all, don't even have photoshop, only Graphics converter that came with my comp.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could either put them together or tell me how to. I am hoping that the only thing you notice is the propeller going around. I attempted to change the background to a solid color but I don't think that is possible without hand tracing the airplane.

Thanks.

P.S. If you are wondering it was made in ProE Wildfire for a school project.

Attachments

• assem1.jpg
    assem1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 133
  • assem2.jpg
    assem2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 113
  • assem3.jpg
    assem3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 123
  • assem4.jpg
    assem4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 110
L

Lau

One problem I forsee with those images is that they're all slightly different sizes. You might be better off taking one of them and getting rid of the propeller, and then pasting it over the top of the image in each position. It would mean the plane will stay still.

I'd have a go myself, but I've spent the day in an InDesign class and my eyes are bleeding (well, not really, but they're tired) and I also have a curry to eat. I might give it a shot later though. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
yippy said:
I am hoping that the only thing you notice is the propeller going around.

That and the fact that the airplane changes size dramatically... :D

Attachments

• airplane_1.gif
    airplane_1.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 759
L

Lau

Ok, I had a go. Unfortunately I've never got the hang of Imageready for animations so I did it in Flash. Possibly because of this it's really low quality. :(

Anyway, it's a start, and I've posted the resized frames so anyone who knows a bit more about this stuff can put em together if they want.

Attachments

• yippy.gif
    yippy.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 755
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 770
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 730
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 744
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 731

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Well thanks to Lau's resized frames I threw these two together real quick. The first one is definately under the size limit, not sure about the second one I forget the kb limit. Oh and is the propeller going in the right direction? I have no clue. :D Oh and the time between frames are using a 200ms delay, so they can be sped up or slowed if needed.

Attachments

• heli-sized.gif
    heli-sized.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 745
  • heli-sized-masked.gif
    heli-sized-masked.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 760
L

Lau

tag said:
Well thanks to Lau's resized frames I threw these two together real quick. The first one is definately under the size limit, not sure about the second one I forget the kb limit. Oh and is the propeller going in the right direction? I have no clue. :D Oh and the time between frames are using a 200ms delay, so they can be sped up or slowed if needed.

Nicely done - that's what my flash .swf file looked like, but the gif is dreadful. They look great!

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Lau said:
Nicely done - that's what my flash .swf file looked like, but the gif is dreadful. They look great!

Thanks. :) I'm curious though, I'm not a flash person, how did you convert the .swf to a .gif? Is that an option to export frames or were they just captures of each flash frames? Oh and for note I did those in the Gimp, it has some pretty nice options for gifs.

L

Lau

tag said:
Thanks. :) I'm curious though, I'm not a flash person, how did you convert the .swf to a .gif? Is that an option to export frames or were they just captures of each flash frames? Oh and for note I did those in the Gimp, it has some pretty nice options for gifs.

I'm not a Flash person either, but I'm more of a Flash person than an ImageReady person. :p I don't think there's a way to covert a .swf to a .gif - it's just when I exported the .gif it looked awful, but when I saved it as a .swf it looked great, but that wasn't very helpful.

I'll look into Gimp though - I think Flash tends to make huge files, so a better way would be most welcome. :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You guys rock!

The propeller goes that way on a normal plane but when I made that I wasn't careful and it actually should turn the other way. But I can only tell that when I zoom way in on the original image so it doesn't matter.

I wish I could retake the images so they were all the same size, higher quality and in color but I no longer have the original CAD files. The only important files that I have ever lost :( . Thought they were safe on a school server but I accidentally left them in a work folder that got cleared at semester break. One of these days I will remake it or make one better.

L

Lau

yippy said:
You guys rock!

The propeller goes that way on a normal plane but when I made that I wasn't careful and it actually should turn the other way. But I can only tell that when I zoom way in on the original image so it doesn't matter.

I wish I could retake the images so they were all the same size, higher quality and in color but I no longer have the original CAD files. The only important files that I have ever lost :( . Thought they were safe on a school server but I accidentally left them in a work folder that got cleared at semester break. One of these days I will remake it or make one better.

That's strange, when I look back at my fast .gif it looks to me like it's going one way, but tag's looks like the other way, even though it's the same files. Must be that strange optical illusion that makes car wheels look like they're spinning backwards slowly when they're actually going fast forwards.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
yippy said:
You guys rock!

Wait so it should be the other way? Well here it is just to see which looks better.

Attachments

• heli-sized-reverse.gif
    heli-sized-reverse.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 713
  • heli-sized-masked-reverse.gif
    heli-sized-masked-reverse.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 748
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.