Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Hi all,

I am having issues with my MBP. I would say it has been an intermittent issue now for a couple of months and now seems to be getting worse.

Initially i would close the laptop and when coming back it had shut itself down quoting it had shut down due to an issue. The battery needed replacing so I thought that might be the issue however after changing the battery the issues continued and got worse.

I have done Recovery starts, safe mode boots, PRAM/VRAM resets and SMC resets. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. Sometimes they work for a decent amount time and then it all starts again. Tonight, after a few days of it working fine albeit shutting it down between use it is now not coming on at all and just a black screen where the screen just isnt booting although i can hear the apple chime.

One thing that i have been noticing is that if i close it and come back to it, it has clearly been running while supposedly in sleep mode and is very hot.

It is currently running Mojave and these issues persist whether connected to power or not. I do not have an external monitor connected to it but sometimes do although dont think its related. I have tried a re install of mojave from recovery boot up and used disk utility to see if any issues are found.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts that might he me fix it that would be amazing. Im happy to try anything and pretty hapy to open her up if needed as i did change the battery myself.

Thanks all for reading and hope to hear from you.

Many thanks

Sean

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could this be "FlexGate"?
(if you don't know what that means, look it up)

SeanMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Thanks for your reply bud. Just looked into it and from the looks of things this was an issue for 2016 onwards models. I haven’t had any issues with screen dying when I open or close the screen at differing angles. I will keep an eye on it though and if it starts doing that then I will investigate that further. Thanks again

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I was having issues as well with my iMac getting hot, freezing and crashing at boot and tried everything you did - I have a 2009 iMac. 2 things that worked for me - installing SMC fan control and set fans from top to bottom to 2000, 2000, and 1000, uninstalling anything that I installed around the time things stopped working, and looking at my login items where a rogue app placed itself so I deleted it. My iMac is now running perfectly again

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

SeanMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Thanks for this man. Much appreciated. I think I’m going to try a factory reset first with a fresh update and see if that deletes anything that causes this problem. Failing that I’ll give this a go and see what happens. Thanks for the advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.