Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
I am currently on the OG X and have decided this is the year to upgrade to a Pro or a Pro Max. I've decided I don't want the vanilla 15, mostly because of the camera. Since the X only came in a 6.1-ish size, I'm wondering if my 60 year old eyes would benefit from the extra screen space. But I am also wondering if people find it a PITA to carry around a large phone? Let me know your thoughts on having the larger phone.
TIA!

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I am currently on the OG X and have decided this is the year to upgrade to a Pro or a Pro Max. I've decided I don't want the vanilla 15, mostly because of the camera. Since the X only came in a 6.1-ish size, I'm wondering if my 60 year old eyes would benefit from the extra screen space. But I am also wondering if people find it a PITA to carry around a large phone? Let me know your thoughts on having the larger phone.
TIA!
I Have a 14 pro had a 13 pro max before, eyes make no difference to size if you wear glasses.
The pro is better in the pocket for sure if you are a guy, my Mrs had the max but goes in a bag.
At home I use my 11" iPad Pro way more than my 14 pro. So best of both.
Looking at this years phones though if I was upgrading I would get the Max. Better camera and better battery than the pro as it's the same as the 14 pro battery, and it's average.
That helped you eh lol

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
If there’s an Apple store anywhere near you, or at least a retail store that sells Apple products, I would very strongly recommend comparing them in person.

You might find that the Pro is perfectly readable and that the Pro Max is too big for you to hold comfortably. Or you might find that the Pro Max feels luxurious and feels good in your hands. And so on.

Me? I want something no bigger than a credit card (so it’s nice and pocketable) with a display as large as a tabloid newspaper. So I’m screwed no matter what.

I’ll be holding on to my 13 mini for the foreseeable future. But, when the time comes, I suspect I’ll go with the Pro Max.

Maybe …

b&

Edit: Of course — it’s a 13 mini, not a 15 mini! b&

Last edited:

mailman199

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2008
New York
I have had both sized pro models each year for the last three years and there is no easy answer. In the old days (aka last year) I would swap my SIM card frequently and use them both often. I now mostly use the Max.

I too have aging eyes and yes, glasses make a difference...but I don't always have my reading glasses so... A lot of written content does not give you that much extra viewable area on the Max because the width is not that much wider. There are usually about 3 extra lines at the bottom of the Max. I usually use 18 or 19pt.

The Pro is much nicer in the hand...for sure. The Max has longer battery life and larger UI elements if you use the zoomed view (which I do). I have mostly leaned on the Max and accepted the slight clumsy handling of it when I try to use it one handed...I drop it often trying to reach the corners while reading laying down. I don't use a case but I do use a matte skin that gives it some extra grip (helps with the one handing).

Last edited:

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I'm 62yo. Leaning towards the Max. I carry the phone in cargo pockets or in a "holster" on my belt, so size is kind of irrelevant as it's not in my pocket.

The main reason I'm leaning to the Max, is the larger keyboard when texting, etc.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I’m torn on pro vs pro max. Screens and battery is appealing. But it’s larger….

I’ve only had small phones. I tried the large one once for a day and didn’t like it but didn’t really give it much time. I am tempted to try again.

Idk why such a silly decision is so challenging

Reactions: tmaxxtigger

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I’m torn on pro vs pro max. Screens and battery is appealing. But it’s larger….

I’ve only had small phones. I tried the large one once for a day and didn’t like it but didn’t really give it much time. I am tempted to try again.

Idk why such a silly decision is so challenging
I just went to the Apple Store to make the same decision. The pro max without a case was manageable with one hand but awkward to try to reach the top of the screen. I use my phone with one hand so I’m staying with 6.1 again. The battery on my 13 pro is never below 20% at the end of the day so battery life was not a factor for me. If the pro max was a little shorter I would try it out.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I just went to the Apple Store to make the same decision. The pro max without a case was manageable with one hand but awkward to try to reach the top of the screen. I use my phone with one hand so I’m staying with 6.1 again. The battery on my 13 pro is never below 20% at the end of the day so battery life was not a factor for me. If the pro max was a little shorter I would try it out.

Honestly this is prob the right answer. Though battery life on my 14p has been so bad. That’s part of my influence.

But in use the pro is a great size.

I read so much about people getting used to the max and not wantingto go back, I wonder if that could be me.

Idk. I’m leaning 51% non-max but I have to decide soon

Reactions: mjpearce023

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I am leaning Pro but like the idea of the camera in the Pro Max. I have to carry my phone in my pockets and keep with me when I coach soccer so the bigger size worries me.

Reactions: Zayway86

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010

Reactions: mjpearce023

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Honestly this is prob the right answer. Though battery life on my 14p has been so bad. That’s part of my influence.

But in use the pro is a great size.

I read so much about people getting used to the max and not wantingto go back, I wonder if that could be me.

Idk. I’m leaning 51% non-max but I have to decide soon
I wonder the same thing but I worry that if I get the pro max and don’t like it then the pro is going to be sold out so I have to return and wait. I thought about getting the pro with my AT&T trade in and then getting the pro max full price and return the one I don’t want but I don’t know if they would let me switch my trade in to the pro max if I ended up keeping it.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
If weight of the phone is not an issue, go for the bigger 15 Pro Max. Bigger screen is always good.
Not difficult to carry it around. Have the X and also the 12 Pro Max. Love the bigger screen of the Pro Max

sartorius

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
I can't decide either. Reckon I'm going to buy both, and keep the size I prefer after a day or two, return the other.
Apple has a return policy, take advantage of it.

Waltagon

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
I'm struggling to decide as well. I've got a 12 64GB now. Using 56GB of storage with an iCloud subscription. Definitely getting a Pro but not sure if I will like the portability of the Max (pocketability and weight with a case), although the idea of a bigger screen for browsing, typing and content is attractive to me. I think 256GB on the Max might be overkill. If there was a £1099 PM 128GB model I would likely have just taken the risk.

Reactions: AP-123

Dav3290

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
I'm struggling to decide as well. I've got a 12 64GB now. Using 56GB of storage with an iCloud subscription. Definitely getting a Pro but not sure if I will like the portability of the Max (pocketability and weight with a case), although the idea of a bigger screen for browsing, typing and content is attractive to me. I think 256GB on the Max might be overkill. If there was a £1099 PM 128GB model I would likely have just taken the risk.

This was me this morning at pre-order. Opted for the 128GB Pro. The only real benefit I could justify for the Pro Max was the larger display. I don't need the 5X lens and I mostly work from home so battery life isn't an issue. 128 GB is plenty of storage. I didn't think just the larger display was worth $200.

Regardless, going from a regular 12 to a 15 Pro/Max should be a nice upgrade.

iTeachMath

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Massachusetts
I am going from a 12 Pro Max to a 15 Pro. I like everything about the Pro Max except for the fact that I have to carry it around in my pocket. I hike/walk quite a bit and like to have the phone handy to take photos -- having the Pro Max in my pocket is a pain. I'm hoping the Pro size will make a noticeable difference. Also, I need reading glasses no matter what size screen I'm using.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
I currently have an iPhone Mini 13. I just cannot make the small print and small keyboard work for me anymore. Love the small size, but frankly for Cell and basic connectivity I use my Ultra Watch more often than not.

My wife has the 14 Pro and after looking decided to go all the way to the 15 Pro Max. Better Camera, Better battery and the weight is pretty close the 14 Pro she has. Size is a non issue most of the time, sling bag, back pocket, in car charger, etc. So having the larger screen, larger keyboard I think is going to be nice. Going to pair it with a slim case - still deciding - and go from there.

My mini 13 uses a (now) beat up apple leather case that has been excellent and very thin. Need to find something similar for the 15 Pro Max + screen protector …the ceramic glass can still break and I’ve sacrificed many screen protectors with no damage to the ceramic screen so big believer in those.

Got A natural titanium 15 Pro Max 512 Sept. 22nd …

Reactions: ssledoux

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
There's no perfect size. Part of the issue is weight, thickness, too. The largest phone is easier to read but harder to carry, especially for men or those without a purse.

Really the SE and mini are the best for holding. Also they're perfectly legible for many app-based tasks.

The problem with the Pro vs the Pro Max is the width. It's too narrow to read comfortably, especially for older folks who need larger fonts.

So in this world of imperfection, you pick the max if you need or want readability and just deal with the portability issue. If you really want portability, pick an SE or a mini.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Your eyes would definitely benefit from the extra screen space, and carrying it is definitely a PITA. For me, the max is just too unwieldy so I stick with the regular version and beef up the font size a bit.

Reactions: Zayway86 and shr631

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
My last 2 phones were Max phones 13 and 14. I'm getting the Pro this time around. I don't really care about the camera upgrade. I'm kinda tired of the big phone. There are pluses and minuses to both so it's really up to you. I mostly use my iPad for surfing and video watching. I want a more pocketable phone.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I have the 14 Pro and will be going Max next time. Or Ultra, if that's what they call it.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I did pro max because the following;

iPhone 12 plus 256gb trade in value = $250

iPhone 12 Pro Max 256gb trade in value = $450

iPhone 15 plus 256gb cost = $1,000

iPhone 15 pro max 256gb cost = $1200

In the end when you trade in the phone every 3 years (if you do like me), both cost you the same money in the end. Apple doesn’t take in consideration if you have a plus or more storage when determining the value, making both cost around $750 in the end when you trade in the phone in the future. I may save $200 with the 15 plus, but will lose $200 when I trade it in for iPhone 18. Hope that made sense

Reactions: ctjack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.