Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anas KASMI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am new to the apple world and I need some assistance to buy a used MacBook pro,
my limited budget ($1100) left me with two choices and I can't decide yet,
so I thought I may get some help here

the options I have is a MacBook pro-2016 with the following specs :
- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 750Gb SSD
- 2 graphic cards
- i7 processor with 2.7hz speed
- 10 cycles in batterie (I suppose it was replaced)

the second option is a mac book pro 2015 with the following specs :
- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 500 GB SSD
- 1 graphic card only
- i7 processor with 2.5hz speed
- 300 cycles in batterie (+5h of normal usage which is enough for me)

I am a mobile developer and a dedicated graphics card is not that important for me I care more about ram capacity which I have in both options.
the difference between the two MacBooks is only $100 ( the 2016 model is the one who is more expensive of course).

at first, I assumed that the 2016 model was the best choice for me but I read that it has some serious issues in the keyboard and also the screen cable and they are hard to fix (need full replacement),
while 2015 model reviews encouraged me a lot (durability, USB ports..)
so should I sacrifice the (+150gb of SSD, new battery, dedicated graphic card, touch bar, and the massive touchpad that I like a lot ) of the 2016 models and buy the 2015 models, Or these issues are just rummers and the 2016 model is good for me?
if you had tested any of the above models please give me your feedback I will appreciate it.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Hello everyone,
I am new to the apple world and I need some assistance to buy a used MacBook pro,

- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 750Gb SSD
- 2 graphic cards

- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 500 GB SSD
- 1 graphic card only

I am a mobile developer and a dedicated graphics card is not that important for me I care more about ram capacity which I have in both options.
the difference between the two MacBooks is only $100 ( the 2016 model is the one who is more expensive of course).

at first, I assumed that the 2016 model was the best choice for me but I read that it has some serious issues in the keyboard and also the screen cable and they are hard to fix (need full replacement),
so should I sacrifice the (+150gb of SSD, new battery, dedicated graphic card, touch bar, and the massive touchpad that I like a lot ) of the 2016 models and buy the 2015 models, Or these issues are just rummers and the 2016 model is good for me?
if you had tested any of the above models please give me your feedback I will appreciate it.

I have one 2016 15" model and just using about 4 month and then sell it again.
and back to late 2013 15 :p

for me as developer, prepare 2015 model. 16gb ram and 512 itu more than enough actually, except you want to put all your file, movie, music etc into mac. :D

Keep it using 2 partition, primary for OS and application and 2nd for development file :D

Anas KASMI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I have one 2016 15" model and just using about 4 month and then sell it again.
and back to late 2013 15 :p

for me as developer, prepare 2015 model. 16gb ram and 512 itu more than enough actually, except you want to put all your file, movie, music etc into mac. :D

Keep it using 2 partition, primary for OS and application and 2nd for development file :D
you are absolutely right the 16 Ram and 500 SSD is enough for my daily tasks
may I know why did you sell you MacBook pro 15" 2016?
did has an issue?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 750Gb SSD
- 2 graphic cards

- 15 inches
- 16gb RAM
- 500 GB SSD
- 1 graphic card only

between those 2 models, you really want to go with 2015. It has more ports, better keyboard, and the speeds is the same AFAIK.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Anas KASMI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
between those 2 models, you really want to go with 2015. It has more ports, better keyboard, and the speeds is the same AFAIK.
Thank you I 'll take your opinion into consideration,
but I am a little bit more concerned about the hardware part which one has fewer issues and more reliability?

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
you are absolutely right the 16 Ram and 500 SSD is enough for my daily tasks
may I know why did you sell you MacBook pro 15" 2016?
did has an issue?
i have 3 problem with 2016 model
1. keyboard
2. trackpad (to biiiig)
3. port

from speed bla bla bla, i dont even notice, where is 2016 and 2013 lol.

as a developer, better spent money to buy other devices like new iphone, ipad, iwatch, android smartphone, so you dont need running with virtual, directly compile using devices :D

and the reason why im buying it??? just for wwdc 2017 lol
i miss my wwdc :p

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
2015 -- because of the keyboard.

If you have a 2016 MacBook Pro, and if the keyboard fails, and if it's no longer covered by Apple's free replacement program (4 years from date MacBook was actually purchased new)
then...
The repair for a broken key is going to cost you $700. Just for ONE broken key!

Anas KASMI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
2015 -- because of the keyboard.

If you have a 2016 MacBook Pro, and if the keyboard fails, and if it's no longer covered by Apple's free replacement program (4 years from date MacBook was actually purchased new)
then...
The repair for a broken key is going to cost you $700. Just for ONE broken key!
you just mentioned my biggest concerns, because I live in a country that has no apple stores in it,
if the laptop has any kind of big failure that needs a hardware replacement, I 'll be stuck and obligated to buy a new one again

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I have the 2015 15.4" i7 and love it!

The keyboard is almost identical to my current 16" MBP - great productivity with the scissor keyboards...

The 2016-2018 models with the butterfly keyboard which is something I only like to use with my 12" Retina Macbook for travel only....

Anas KASMI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I have the 2015 15.4" i7 and love it!

The keyboard is almost identical to my current 16" MBP - great productivity with the scissor keyboards...

The 2016-2018 models with the butterfly keyboard which is something I only like to use with my 12" Retina Macbook for travel only....
Great to hear that, I think I am convinced now to get the 2015 model since all the replays supported it thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.