Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Aren't you coming from the One X? Have you seen the GNex screen in person? The difference in quality between the One X and GNex screen is night and day.

I did try out the HTC One X for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I did nit like Sense nor the crap way HTC did multitasking on the phone. It had aggressive app killing in the background which meant every time I was jumping back into an app it was reloading. Or every time I reopened the browser the tabs would reload. It was a worse multitasking experience than the iPhone. I know I could have probably rooted it and installed a custom ROM but whatever. The screen was really nice though. It definitely beats the Nexus and SGIII.

But for $349 ill take the unlocked nexus with a pure Google experience.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I did try out the HTC One X for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I did nit like Sense nor the crap way HTC did multitasking on the phone. It had aggressive app killing in the background which meant every time I was jumping back into an app it was reloading. Or every time I reopened the browser the tabs would reload. It was a worse multitasking experience than the iPhone. I know I could have probably rooted it and installed a custom ROM but whatever. The screen was really nice though. It definitely beats the Nexus and SGIII.

But for $349 ill take the unlocked nexus with a pure Google experience.

Yes, multitasking is a joke on the One X. HTC should be ashamed of themselves.

Have you used a GNex before? The difference between the GNex screen and One X is huge. Even as an iPhone 4 user, which doesn't have as nice a screen as the One X, I could never use the GNex screen.

ghost115

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Wait for the iPhone you don't want an android that will become outdated in a couple of months

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I was in this same situation. I ended up buying the galaxy nexus and I got it a few days ago. At first I was thrilled but things like battery life being pretty average not anywhere near my current iPhone 4. Today I unplugged at 10 am and it was dead by 8:30 pm. That is with no push or fetching email or any other apps. Just twitter a few photos and web surfing. Then the screen. I know it HD but I really just can't get used to it. The oversaturated colors just bug my eyes and its very grainy. It's a nice phone but I think I'm gonna return it. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I was in this same situation. I ended up buying the galaxy nexus and I got it a few days ago. At first I was thrilled but things like battery life being pretty average not anywhere near my current iPhone 4. Today I unplugged at 10 am and it was dead by 8:30 pm. That is with no push or fetching email or any other apps. Just twitter a few photos and web surfing. Then the screen. I know it HD but I really just can't get used to it. The oversaturated colors just bug my eyes and its very grainy. It's a nice phone but I think I'm gonna return it. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This is the problem when many iPhone users switch to an Android phone that isn't anywhere near the pixel density of the iphone. It can be super duper HD AMOLED, but if it is a 800x480 on a 4.x" screen, it will look granulated and crappy compared to the iPhones retina display. With the HTC One X and Samsung S3 screen resolution won't be a problem, but preference for color and saturation will come in to play. In my opinion, these are the only 2 Android phones on the market that could be considered 4S replacements.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The hit you'll take on depreciation won't make it worth it.

Sure it will. Say, worse case, you end up buying for $400 and selling for $200 in 6 months. That amounts to a "rental" payment of around $35 per month to have the bragging rights to the latest and greatest of X (whatever X tends to be). This is nothing to a true gadget freak. I piss away that much in gas taxes every month.

PeopleTheseDays

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
This is the problem when many iPhone users switch to an Android phone that isn't anywhere near the pixel density of the iphone. It can be super duper HD AMOLED, but if it is a 800x480 on a 4.x" screen, it will look granulated and crappy compared to the iPhones retina display. With the HTC One X and Samsung S3 screen resolution won't be a problem, but preference for color and saturation will come in to play. In my opinion, these are the only 2 Android phones on the market that could be considered 4S replacements.

Actually, HD AMOLED means 1280 x 720 resolution on a 4.65 inch screen on the Nexus. It's 316 pip vs 329 ppi on the iphone. I guess you can argue there is a discernible difference, but that may just be d*** measuring contest.

It's really the pentile arrangement on flat white/lighter colors that has a weird "mura" effect (which can get annoying from personal experience), but other than that, for most things, such as text, it's not granulated/crappy.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The hit you'll take on depreciation won't make it worth it.

How so? As long as I get $200 or more on my Nexus by October, I'm good. I have a 2-year full upgrade to use on the new iPhone. Heck, I may even keep my Nexus when the new iPhone comes out and just pay $200 out my pocket for it. I may do that and swap sim cards back and forth. I like the whole Jelly Bean experience.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Actually, HD AMOLED means 1280 x 720 resolution on a 4.65 inch screen on the Nexus. It's 316 pip vs 329 ppi on the iphone. I guess you can argue there is a discernible difference, but that may just be d*** measuring contest.

It's really the pentile arrangement on flat white/lighter colors that has a weird "mura" effect (which can get annoying from personal experience), but other than that, for most things, such as text, it's not granulated/crappy.

Doh. I must have used the S2 specs. That screen looks granulated. My mistake and apologies for the bad info.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Doh. I must have used the S2 specs. That screen looks granulated. My mistake and apologies for the bad info.

I had the GNex for about a week and it definitely had a grainy look to the screen. It was especially noticeable with white and gray backgrounds.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, multitasking is a joke on the One X. HTC should be ashamed of themselves.

Have you used a GNex before? The difference between the GNex screen and One X is huge. Even as an iPhone 4 user, which doesn't have as nice a screen as the One X, I could never use the GNex screen.

Dude the PPI on a Gnex is 316 and the iPhone is 326. Not everyone has the screen as their number one priority. Sure it isnt quite as nice as the GS3 even because the GS3 is a HD screen with a higher resolution but im sure it looks just fine. I think my Galaxy S screen looks fine but the new ones will look even better.
I love the look of sense and the One X but the multitasking problem and no micro card slot is more important to me than their screen being the best. That Nexus deal for $349 is good since it already has JB. I have thought about it myself but since the GS3 is getting JB in Q4, ill stick with that. The GS3 with JB is going to be a awesome device.

Last edited:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

You can't compare battery life of a Nexus with a large, HD display running on 4G to an iPhone with a tiny display on 3G.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
You can't compare battery life of a Nexus with a large, HD display running on 4G to an iPhone with a tiny display on 3G.

It's just personal preference. Nothing more. I thought I would like all the options and messing about with androind but I've learned that I prefer the uniformity I'd iOS a little more. I don't want to have to worry about plugging my phone in twice a day or carry a extra battery with me. The phone is great but I just prefer the iPhone which even surprised me.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
If you can stomach waiting for the iPhone 5, just wait for the next Nexus phone from Google.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Dude the PPI on a Gnex is 316 and the iPhone is 326. Not everyone has the screen as their number one priority. Sure it isnt quite as nice as the GS3 even because the GS3 is a HD screen with a higher resolution but im sure it looks just fine. I think my Galaxy S screen looks fine but the new ones will look even better.
I love the look of sense and the One X but the multitasking problem and no micro card slot is more important to me than their screen being the best. That Nexus deal for $349 is good since it already has JB. I have thought about it myself but since the GS3 is getting JB in Q4, ill stick with that. The GS3 with JB is going to be a awesome device.

You and I need to stop our panel discussions. It's the same thing over and over again. In fact I'm probably going to stop bringing up how bad the GNex and other Android screens are because I get inevitable defenses of them. I'll just keep my mouth shut regarding Amoled moving forward on here.

PPI on the GNex does little to combat the poor whites and overall dimness it produces. I'm no fan of the SIII screen for those reasons but the GNex is even worse.

Amoled screens are just inferior to IPS for how most people use them to do on their smartphones. Yes, that is just my opinion. But it's echoed by many.

I think most consumers deem their smartphone screen as a top if not the top priority.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The unlocked Nexus runs on the same "4G" networks as the iPhone.

But the CDMA version is LTE which the iphone is yet capable of. And with verizon this is a big deal because their 3g network is so lousy.

----------

Personally I'd probably wait until Oct and compare the new iPhone to the new nexus device. By then Android will be on version 5.x using all the goodies from ICS and JB. But the current nexus should still get Android 5.x assuming it is released less then 18 month from when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
With Android people are all about "how many cores you got?" lol honestly the Galaxy Nexus is a Amazing phone....life is not all about bench marks because truth be told there is no android device that actually takes full advantage of the multi-core processors (can't speak for Jelly bean yet as I haven't tried, or read much about it). The Games on Android if they truly made use of Multi-Core processors would have been AMAZING but they are just OK....

I just recently traded my old iPhone 4 for a Galaxy Nexus to have it along with my iPhone 4S (bc i can't give it up due to the app quantity and quality being my main factor) It is truly a solid phone and having the Stock Android ICS UI is a bonus because I hate all the bloatware and launchers manufacturers like Samsung, HTC and Motorolla slap on which sure does make the phone more appealing but also slows boggs down the phone to some degree. Sure the SGSIII is a "Quad-Core" but I bet the full power isn't even going to get used 1) not any real apps that would take full advantage of the Multi-Core processor 2) Your battery will die before you even use the full power of it 3) Spec's aren't everything.

Those that say "Upgrade coming soon and wait for the Quad-Core Nexus"....cores are just numbers....Learn something apple....its not about the number of Core you have...its about what you can do with the ones you have....which apple clearly shows over and over by sticking to Chips that have been far surpassed by android offerings yet they lack sales because their "Cores" can't deliver what users want but I also understand lots of things factor in such as the App real-estate, Google limiting/not providing enough support to make apps be better etc.

Based on the iPad 3 I HIGHLY doubt the iPhone 5/6 is going to get Quad-Core because its not a necessity as they already have the formula to achieve what Android Hardware makers show off with Quad-Core with a Dual-Core enhanced such as A5X processor that being said the Galaxy Nexus with its Dual-Core Processor and 1GB Ram is PRETTY SOLID for the next couple of years at minimum considering the Nexus S is still living on with ICS...maybe even getting Jelly bean but I am not sure about that, Oh and you can always OverClock the Galaxy NEXUS to higher CPU down the road should you feel its not fast enough.

So OP go for it, you will enjoy it for the short time that you will keep it before jumping back to the iOS on the new iPhone.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
But the CDMA version is LTE which the iphone is yet capable of. And with verizon this is a big deal because their 3g network is so lousy.

----------

Personally I'd probably wait until Oct and compare the new iPhone to the new nexus device. By then Android will be on version 5.x using all the goodies from ICS and JB. But the current nexus should still get Android 5.x assuming it is released less then 18 month from when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released.

Understand..but OP was asking about the GSM Nexus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
With Android people are all about "how many cores you got?" lol honestly the Galaxy Nexus is a Amazing phone....life is not all about bench marks because truth be told there is no android device that actually takes full advantage of the multi-core processors (can't speak for Jelly bean yet as I haven't tried, or read much about it). The Games on Android if they truly made use of Multi-Core processors would have been AMAZING but they are just OK....

I just recently traded my old iPhone 4 for a Galaxy Nexus to have it along with my iPhone 4S (bc i can't give it up due to the app quantity and quality being my main factor) It is truly a solid phone and having the Stock Android ICS UI is a bonus because I hate all the bloatware and launchers manufacturers like Samsung, HTC and Motorolla slap on which sure does make the phone more appealing but also slows boggs down the phone to some degree. Sure the SGSIII is a "Quad-Core" but I bet the full power isn't even going to get used 1) not any real apps that would take full advantage of the Multi-Core processor 2) Your battery will die before you even use the full power of it 3) Spec's aren't everything.

Those that say "Upgrade coming soon and wait for the Quad-Core Nexus"....cores are just numbers....Learn something apple....its not about the number of Core you have...its about what you can do with the ones you have....which apple clearly shows over and over by sticking to Chips that have been far surpassed by android offerings yet they lack sales because their "Cores" can't deliver what users want but I also understand lots of things factor in such as the App real-estate, Google limiting/not providing enough support to make apps be better etc.

Based on the iPad 3 I HIGHLY doubt the iPhone 5/6 is going to get Quad-Core because its not a necessity as they already have the formula to achieve what Android Hardware makers show off with Quad-Core with a Dual-Core enhanced such as A5X processor that being said the Galaxy Nexus with its Dual-Core Processor and 1GB Ram is PRETTY SOLID for the next couple of years at minimum considering the Nexus S is still living on with ICS...maybe even getting Jelly bean but I am not sure about that, Oh and you can always OverClock the Galaxy NEXUS to higher CPU down the road should you feel its not fast enough.

So OP go for it, you will enjoy it for the short time that you will keep it before jumping back to the iOS on the new iPhone.

For the most part I agree with you but there are a couple of points I could debate. Cores with android, yes software optimization is more important but keep in mind some of the things that are done with android, like running video game emulators, video encoding etc. A lot of apps are designed to run off multi core processors like MX player off the top of my head.....

I also think Apple will try to keep on the higher end of hardware when so maybe nit with the iPhone 5/6 but with the 5s/6s. They can future proof their products that way and keep older devices updated....

Off our subject but just thinking about it. I like the way Google does its updates. The Nexus S has the same software the Galaxy Nexus has (unlike the 4 compared to the 4S iPhone). If OTA updates are that important too you get a Nexus device. Even the Xoom is getting Jelly Bean with everything that is included with it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.