Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I am upgrading from my series 6 AW and am torn of which watch to go with. The reason I originally upgrades from my previous series 4 to 6 was the blood oxygen sensor. As someone who has been prone to get bronchitis in the past the idea of having an idea of what my blood oxygen levels were was a nice option to have. Now with the B/O sensor being removed I have to decide between a base series 9 AW (GPS) w/ the B/O sensor that's still available or my dream AW, a graphite SS series 9 w/out the B/O sensor. I've heard a number of people say that the B/O sensor in the series 9 wasn't reliable anyway so should that be a sticking point? Is the B/O sensor something you use? I was able to get both at a great price so I'm stuck on which to go with.... series 9 GPS w/ B/O sensor or Graphite SS series 9 w/out B/O sensor...

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Do you really need 24/7 access to the SPO2 sensor? If not, I'd go with the SS model. You can buy a standalone SPO2 monitor from Amazon for $20-$25 that's as accurate as the one on the Apple watch.

If you get the base model AW, I think you'll regret it every time you look at it. And especially after the first scratch in the Ion-X glass, when you could have had sapphire! ;)

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
The SPO2 sensor may eventually be re-instated if the software guys at Apple come up with an acceptable solution that satisfies all parties. Having said that, if you can get a great price on the SS version that you are comfortable and happy with, go for it.

In the meantime, as jetsam says, there are standalone sensors that don't cost much tha tyou can use.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The SPO2 sensor may eventually be re-instated if the software guys at Apple come up with an acceptable solution that satisfies all parties. Having said that, if you can get a great price on the SS version that you are comfortable and happy with, go for it.

In the meantime, as jetsam says, there are standalone sensors that don't cost much tha tyou can use.

That's my guess too. Health over vanity, but I'd gamble that it will be enabled, and if not, a finger blood oxygen sensor is easy enough to get from Amazon for a low price.

Reactions: cawgijoe

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
I got the Aluminium cellular, was $700AUD cheaper than the graphite SS, hard to justify more than double the $.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
With my discount I got if on both, SS would still be $450AUD more, not that they do anything different.
One is a piece of jewelry + a health watch, the other is just a health watch. Having owned 2 Aluminum and 1 SS AL/SS/AL the SS hold ups much better over time. The sapphire screen is really a significant upgrade.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
One is a piece of jewelry + a health watch, the other is just a health watch. Having owned 2 Aluminum and 1 SS AL/SS/AL the SS hold ups much better over time. The sapphire screen is really a significant upgrade.
I don't see Apple Watches as jewellery none of them lol. All watches get beaten up even my seikos, don't see spending more just to not have a mark or scratch, base model go well been proven anyway. My Mrs is still using a S3 and its excellent condition.
Not seeing any thing special with a graphite SS v a midnight cellular myself, for over double $$

SS is only $100 less that a Ultra here, if was spending that would get a ultra 2

I could of bought 2 x aluminium cellular and still saved $100AUD v the SS.

Also after having a ultra 1 for a year I wanted a lighter watch.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bondr006

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I don't see Apple Watches as jewellery none of them lol. All watches get beaten up even my seikos, don't see spending more just to not have a mark or scratch, base model go well been proven anyway. My Mrs is still using a S3 and its excellent condition.
Not seeing any thing special with a graphite SS v a midnight cellular myself, for over double $$

SS is only $100 less that a Ultra here, if was spending that would get a ultra 2

I could of bought 2 x aluminium cellular and still saved $100AUD v the SS.

Also after having an ultra 1 for a year I wanted a lighter watch.
As per many many threads done to death we all spend money how we choose and on what we like. There isn’t a right or wrong choice. Personally I prefer the SS graphite finish and the fact that it still looks good after a years use. I also have an Ultra 2 for sports use or when I need longer battery travelling or when I simply fancy wearing it. Typically my wife and I give our SS AW to our adult kids after a year, they are grateful and I don’t see buying a SS as a waste of money (although we ended up skipping S8). As always horses for courses. 😁

Reactions: BillGates1969
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.