Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
So I've very slowly just finished Battlefield 1 and Rise of The Tomb Raider. Thoroughly enjoyed the latter. I've accumulated a huge backlog of games that I want to play but don't know where to start. So, what was everybody's favorite from the list below? I should mention that I typically play when traveling, so that means usually a less then stellar connection at a hotel so am interested in the campaign versions of these games.

Thanks!

Batman Arkham Knight
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
Dark Souls 3
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided
Dead Rising 3
Far Cry 4
Far Cry Primal
DOOM
Fallout 4
Just Cause 3
Mafia 3
Mad Max
Quantum Break
Resident Evil 7
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect Andromeda
Metal Gear Solid V
The Elder Scrolls

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
icewind dale if you like combat
planescape torment if you prefer diplomacy

in your list it s a easy pick: they re all mediocre apart TW3 (great game)
Doom is a good game but repetitive, you can have fun half game

Reactions: MRxROBOT

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Batman: Arkham Knight

It has to be one of the best written and acted stories I have seen in a game. Sometimes you actually feel like you are Batman. Really, the whole Arkham series had stellar story telling. Definitely my top choice.

Elder Scrolls games are always fun. The campaign will definitely keep you busy for a long time. The stories aren't as in depth. Because you have so many options to choose from it would be impractical or impossible for a strong story to handle all the variables. I love all the modding you can do. I would suggest milling through Nexus mods and decking out the game before going too far.

The Far Cry games are fun. The stories are a bit idiotic. As I can't sympathize with characters acting like fools and spoiled brats. Nor believe such traits could create the ultimate warrior. It also makes no sense that you need so many animal skins nor that skin type matters for the number of pouches.

The Assassins Creed games are very repetitive. I just want a conclusion to the story now. I simply can't bear the idea of playing another AC.

If you like Metal Gear games you won't be disappointed with MGS 5. Trying to remain undetected is a bit of a pain. I do love games which involve a lot of sneaking and hiding. Although, I enjoy Tom Clancy games more.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate - Beautiful and technically great, but very boring IMO. I love the series, but for me II was the pinnacle. It added lots of variety and changes of pace/setting, and interesting events in both time-periods. This one was just a slog. They've pretty much moved away from having any present-day gameplay and now it's just cutscenes.

Far Cry 4 - chaotic fun. I don't really remember the storyline much, but it's much of a muchness across the series.

Fallout 4 - I've only played this a bit. Pretty much the same gameplay, with a new setting. I really like the Bethesda games, and with the VATS system you can kinda play at your own pace, it's not just a trigger-fest.

Just Cause 3 - more chaotic fun. Graphically not as good as some of the other current-gen games out there. To be honest I much preferred JC2 - I spent weeks trying to fully complete JC2 and barely made a dent, but completely finished JC3 in less than a week. Plus, it seems to lack the interesting locations (nuclear power plant, Cape Canaveral-like launch centre, ski-resort in the mountains, floating night-club in the sky, towering hotels by a huge waterfall, car race-course etc...) in favour of a few varieties of bases and town scattered around the map. They have added a little back-history to each city and town which is a nice touch.

The Witcher 3 - Buy it.

Reactions: MRxROBOT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.