Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wokeuplikethis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi I desperately need to buy a new Macbook pro and looking for help figuring out which one!

It will not be my main computer but I need it to basically do everything my iMac does since I travel for weeks at a time.

The main programs I use and need a lot of power for are Photoshop, Indesign, and Aperture (which I'll have to switch to Lightroom now). I work with tons of large high-res photos and graphics. Not as much video but some.

Currently my only storage solution is my 1TB Dropbox account, of which I've filled about 1/3 of the space. Even though I have it on selective sync, when it syncs I want to kill myself! It's painfully slow.

I'm trying to decide between these two MBP configurations:

1. 2017 MBP 2.8GHz + upgraded 4GB graphics + upgraded 500GB or 1TB storage

2. 2017 MBP 2.9GHz + upgraded 500GB or 1TB storage

Or I could not upgrade storage at all and use a 2TB external hard drive... ?? I'm kind of resistant to external hard drives since I worry I'd lose it or damage it... whereas my stuff seems more secure in the cloud. But if it truly is the best choice for my needs I guess I'm open to that.

Any thoughts would much appreciated!!!

capelesshero

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
Option number two will do the job exceptionally well if you're trying to save some money. If money is not an issue the upgraded graphics card will give you a slight boost. I say slight because the programs you will be running are not taxing the AMD GPU at 100% so the speed increase will be negligible. So my advice to you is to go with the option that offers the most storage at the best rate.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
If you're going to upgrade to the 500GB or 1TB capacity, you might as well get the high end one as that starts at 500GB.

A 2.8Ghz, Upgraded 1TB, Upgraded 4GB GPU ends up being $3,099.00
A 2.9Ghz, Upgraded 1TB, 4GB GPU ends up being $3,199.00

You're really talking about a 3.2% price difference so you might as well go for the high end. Another factor might be if you were to ever sell it, it might go a little easier as it's the top end model as opposed to a fully upgraded custom lower end model.

PS. I got myself that top end model with the 1TB upgrade and it's great :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.