Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2023
Austria
Hey there,

my girlfriend has lost an eye on the MacBook Airs 15". I myself am a long term Apple user but she usually sticks with Windows and Android. I could already convince her using my old iPhone 12 Pro which she does actually love. Now that she needs a new laptop, she like the Air but is afraid of the price tag, especially here in Austria. Since I am doing my best to be the best boyfriend in the world I will now gift her a new Air M3. I tend to overthink and "overbuy" things. Now I am unsure which spec to get.. So let me tell you the needs:
She uses a laptop for everyday things like browsing, streaming, etc. She is starting a new studies called "Digital Healthcare" where you'll also do coding and stuff. Mabe she'll also need to run a VMWare Windows someday... I think that you'll use a laptop more and be happier trying out new things if you have a good spec. Also, I want her to experience the Mac as a good thing for a long time and think about "future-proofing".

So, I think in terms of SSD it should be 512GB, even though we share the 2TB iCloud Drive.
How about the RAM? 8GB is not an option, so 16GB is the minimum. But I also think about 24GB since you can't upgrade later and I want a smooth machine for her that will also handle a MacOS version in like 6-7 years without lagging. Do you think 24GB is a reasonable option or is it way too much for what the MacBook will probably be used? I mean, it would then be the completely specced out version :D

Which charger do you recommend? I tend to 70W because of faster charging and you can charge your phone etc. via the MacBook anyway. Or do you think the 35W charger is the convenient option?

Thanks so much in advance for your opinions :)

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
8gb is more than enough for typical users (based on my experience). BUT, if she plan to use VM, it depends on how much RAM will be allocated for that (16gb should be sufficient); also note that VM can use Windows ARM only instead of Intel. 75w charger is not necessary (IMO) due to the battery can last quite long (18 hours) so she can charge overnight (you can use app that limit charging level - there are free and paid out there).

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
If you plan on keeping this Mac for 6-7 years and can afford it, then I'd definitely spec it out. Worth on the long run, even if for now it may seem an overkill, but you don't know now how her needs will evolve...
I also tend to go this way if it's for a main machine intended to be kept for a long time.
(my current MBA M2 is 16/512 and that is more than enough for my needs - but it's not my main machine)

Last edited:
Reactions: geta

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I have the 16 GB/ 512 option of the M2 Air. Plenty powerful, never had any problems even when pushing the machine. I purposely selected the 35W charger, charges quick enough without stressing the battery and has dual outlets for two devices.
Greetings from Switzerland!

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I have the 16 GB/ 512 option of the M2 Air. Plenty powerful, never had any problems even when pushing the machine. I purposely selected the 35W charger, charges quick enough without stressing the battery and has dual outlets for two devices.
Greetings from Switzerland!
That post could have come from me - including the location! Grüezi!🇨🇭

• Love
Reactions: rocketbuc

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
I would concur with the above comments. I think the current 8GB/512GB spec would suffice now however to prolong the life and usability of the Mac (as you stated you wanted it to last) I would recommend the 16GB/512GB.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Since you planing to keep it long term (6+ years), M3 MBA with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage would be good option for your/her needs. And if you can spend a bit more, then 24GB/1TB.

As for charger, unless fast charging is a must, the 35w would be fine.

• Love
Reactions: rocketbuc and jazz1

cpdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2023
Austria
That post could have come from me - including the location! Grüezi!🇨🇭
Grüezi! 🇦🇹

So, to sum up, 16/512 is reasonable, 24/512 if money doesn‘t matter 😁
Thanks all!

Last question, is the 70W charger bad for battery health in comparison to the 35W?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I could not live with such a small SSD. Used data grows over time. I come from a mid 2012 mbp with 1TB with 20% free space. I ordered today the 15 inch 16/2TB with the 70W charger which was recommended by the seller in the Apple Store.

cpdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2023
Austria
I could not live with such a small SSD. Used data grows over time. I come from a mid 2012 mbp with 1TB with 20% free space. I ordered today the 15 inch 16/2TB with the 70W charger which was recommended by the seller in the Apple Store.
Well, Apple unfortunately has horrific prices for storage. Maybe you are one of the few percent who needs such storage, but I think most users use large data only rarely, which gives them options like external hard drives, NAS systems or cloud based storage. Since my girlfriend has access to my 2TB iCloud plan, that shouldn‘t be a matter. What do you store on your MacBook? Movies? Photos?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Grüezi! 🇦🇹

So, to sum up, 16/512 is reasonable, 24/512 if money doesn‘t matter 😁
Thanks all!

Last question, is the 70W charger bad for battery health in comparison to the 35W?
The system will draw the amount of power it needs, given the voltage is fixed and the current load is the same (it will increase as the battery requires charging, and reduce as it doesn't). So the wattage is about how much power the system needs, not how much the power supply can provide.

I, for example, use a 65w adapter on my PowerBook G4 12-inch, even though it only needs an adapter rated at 35w. The system runs perfectly, the battery is still good (after 20 years) and nothing is harmed. That adapter just happens to be the one most convenient, since I can also use it on the 17-inch G4, which would not run safely at 35w, thanks to the larger screen, bigger battery, and greater current demand.

Incidentally, the danger isn't a larger wattage but a lower one. Running my 17-inch PB on the 35w adapter would actually work, but not only would the power adapter get really hot but so would the on-board power supply. This because without sufficient power (watts), and a fixed voltage, current draw would rise.

So, in short, you don't risk battery damage with more wattage.

Reactions: cpdp

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Well, Apple unfortunately has horrific prices for storage. Maybe you are one of the few percent who needs such storage, but I think most users use large data only rarely, which gives them options like external hard drives, NAS systems or cloud based storage. Since my girlfriend has access to my 2TB iCloud plan, that shouldn‘t be a matter. What do you store on your MacBook? Movies? Photos?
Fully agree about the price. I would have upgraded much earlier if there would have been a MacBook which was HW upgradable.
And you are right it’s mostly videos and photos which grow over time. But also iMessage because it doesnt let me erase attachments only. And deleting every attachment manually would take Years.
I like to have the photos and videos also locally stored not only in a cloud or some other external solution.

My old 13 inch mbp came with a 60W supply and now the 70W should harm the battery? Don’t think so.

cpdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2023
Austria
Fully agree about the price. I would have upgraded much earlier if there would have been a MacBook which was HW upgradable.
And you are right it’s mostly videos and photos which grow over time. But also iMessage because it doesnt let me erase attachments only. And deleting every attachment manually would take Years.
I like to have the photos and videos also locally stored not only in a cloud or some other external solution.

My old 13 inch mbp came with a 60W supply and now the 70W should harm the battery? Don’t think so.
Well, I would contact Apple and give them feedback. Never thought about it, but that's really a feature missing in iMessage. In settings, you can adjust all iMessages to be deleted after 30 days or 1 year, if you don't need the messages as well.
You may consider a NAS or sth like that, especially since I guess you won't be looking at older photos that often. If you set up a RAID, you also have an automatic backup. But then again, if you can afford a 2TB option on your MacBook and are happy with that solution, why not.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Well, I would contact Apple and give them feedback. Never thought about it, but that's really a feature missing in iMessage. In settings, you can adjust all iMessages to be deleted after 30 days or 1 year, if you don't need the messages as well.
You may consider a NAS or sth like that, especially since I guess you won't be looking at older photos that often. If you set up a RAID, you also have an automatic backup. But then again, if you can afford a 2TB option on your MacBook and are happy with that solution, why not.
Not happy about the price but it was really a must for me cause I had to start deleting stuff on my 1TB machine. Can’t see the new one will serve me another 12 years but let’s see 😁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.