Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agrandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
There are numerous posts, reviews and opinions about what stylus is best for the iPad and I feel like I have a strong idea of the pros and cons of each one I am considering. I am now reaching out to my fellow redditors in hopes of narrowing it down to one.

Background:
  • currently have Wacom bamboo alpha
  • stylus will be used for note taking and PDF markups for work and business school
  • with current stylus, I use notability due to audio recording/syncing, ability to import pictures and PDFs.
  • I also own current version of goodnotes and like it as well but haven't used it for awhile (wish it had audio features like notability)

Styluses I have narrowed down to (in no particular order):

WACOM FINELINE
Pros:
  • Bluetooth for Palm rejection
  • button for shortcut
  • rechargeable
  • small tip
Cons
  • tapping noise
  • placement of button
  • features not supported in notability
ADONIT JOT SCRIPT 2
Pros
  • Bluetooth for Palm rejection
  • rechargeable
  • small tip
Cons
  • tapping noise
  • features not supported in notability
  • no shortcut button
LYNKTEC RECHARGEABLE APEX
Pros
  • rechargeable
  • will work on any app (but relies on apps built in Palm rejection, which may not be good)
  • small tip
  • no tapping noise
Cons
  • no built in Palm rejection
  • no shortcut button

So those are the 3. The only thing I really care about it the fine tip. The other features are great additions but are about equal in want. Palm rejection would be nice since I am left handed and write at a weird angle but notability and goodnotes both have it built in, though not perfect. The shortcut button would be nice just to save a step when needing to erase/undo.

Is the tapping noise really that noticeable in a classroom of around 30 students and a teacher lecturing? Most students are typing away on laptops.

Ideally I would like to try each stylus out before buying. Best Buy allows me to return an opened box for 15 days, so I could buy one and if i don't like return it or exchange for another model.They carry both adonit and Wacom but not the Lynktec. I would prefer to go through Amazon since I have some gift cards to spend.

However, looking at prices on Amazon(sold by Amazon):
Lynktec : $52
Wacom fineline: $50.

For $2 less I can get the additional features if I can handle the tapping noise and not annoy classmates. I have amazon gift card I could use but I don't know if i could get amazon to refund me if I hate the wacom or the tapping noise. An additional note, both products are about $10 cheaper if I buy on Amazon through a 3rd party but that makes returns even tougher and I don't know if they will accept open box returns.

Ugh...

Please share your experiences and thoughts.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I'm still happy with my 20 dollar bamboo stylus V1. I've tried a couple of higher end stylus and I still preferred the bamboo.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I have the adonit jot pro (The one with the plastic disc on the end) I love it. It's accurate, no skipping, works with everything. You also never have to charge it. I use the zoom feature in Notes Plus so that takes care of wrist rejection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.