Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
iWas too curious about iCloud and decided to give it a whirl this morning. As you all know, it's a disaster worse than mobileme. The problem is that iFoolishly allowed it access to iCal and now if iWant to see a bit of iSunshine without the iCloud in the way, it takes all of my iCal entries with it. What do iDo?

Sorry about the "i" stuff. I'm trying to make light of this. I have a horrible memory and without iCal, I'm a mess!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Open iCal, clock on calendars. Right click on each iCloud calendar and select export. export each calendar to your HD.

Now, click iCal->Import and import those exported calendars so they are no labeled as "on Your Mac"

Now turn off iCloud

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Excellent. Thanks! I worked that out moments after posting. This was meant to be a quick 30 min. excursion into iCloud this morning, but instead it's turned into an all day problem. I'm in panic mode! ... and to make matters worse, I think I know why I've had all these problems to begin with: my old @mac.com address, which I'd used for years, and still use as my Apple ID, but gave up paying for, can't be used with iCloud.

Oddly, iCloud will allow you to sync calendars, contacts, bookmarks etc. with the old inactive address, but when you mess about with email settings, the whole thing goes haywire. I thought I'd lost a bunch of emails - recovered those finally - then Mail "lost" settings for all the different servers I connect to (a restart fixed that after much trial and error), and the list goes on.

Why am I saying all this? I somehow suspect that I am not alone.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help! MR is still a decent place... sometimes.

[CLOSING: Still have a problem. iCal won't import alerts from the ics files. I've opened this as a separate problem in the appropriate forum. Since my question is answered, I'm marking this as resolved.]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.